This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of In-cylinder Flow and Fuel Vapor Concentration Distribution in Gasoline Direct Injection Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper details the air-fuel mixing process in a gasoline direct injection (DI) engine. Laser measurement techniques such as particle image velocimetry (PIV) and laser induced fluorescence (LIF) were employed on the optical engine with a transparent cylinder to analyze the in-cylinder flow and fuel vapor concentration. In addition, firing tests were conducted using an actual engine. Test results showed that the multi-stage injection is effective for air-fuel mixing and improvement of combustion stability.
CitationIshida, R., Nakayama, T., Kaneko, M., and Morikawa, K., "Analysis of In-cylinder Flow and Fuel Vapor Concentration Distribution in Gasoline Direct Injection Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2052, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2052.
- Kume, T. Iwamoto, Y. Iida, K. Murakami, M. Akishino, K. Ando, H. Combustion Control Technologies for Direct Injection SI Engine SAE Paper 960600 1996
- Harada, J. Tomita, T. Mizuno, H. Mashiki, H. Ito, Y. Development of Direct Injection Gasoline Engine SAE Paper 970540 1997
- Iwamoto, Y. Noma, K. Nakayama, O. Yamauchi, T. Ando, H. Development of Gasoline Direct Injection Engine SAE Paper 970541 1997
- Edward, R. Radu, R. Radu, G. Influence of Fuel Injection Timing Over the Performances of a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0174 1999
- Schmidt, L. Seabrook, J. Stokes, J. Ahmad Zuhdi, M. Begg, S. Heikal, M. King, J. Multiple Injection Strategies for Improved Combustion Stability under Stratified Part Load Conditions in a Spray Guided Gasoline Direct Injection (SGDI) Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1228 2011
- Kawasumi, I. Yasui, Y. Higashitani, K. Ito, H. Cooperated Control of Multi Stage Injection System for Direct Injection Gasoline Engine Proceedings of American Control Conference 6 2006
- Fujikawa, T. Hattori, Y. Akihama, K. Koike, M. Quantitative 2-D Fuel Distribution Measurements in a Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine Using Laser-Induced Fluorescence Technique Proceedings of the fourth international symposium COMODIA98 317 322 1998
- Kakuhou, A. Urushihara, T. Itoh, T. Takagi, Y. Characteristics of Mixture Formation in a Direct Injection SI Engine with Optimized In-Cylinder Swirl Air Motion SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0505 1999
- Serras-Pereira, J. Aleiferis, P. Richardson, D. Wallace, S. Mixture Preparation and Combustion Variability in a Spray-Guided DISI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4033 2007
- Stansfield, P. A. Wigley, G. Garner, C. P. Patel, R. Ladommatos, N. Pitcher, G. Turner, J. W. G. Nuglisch, H. Helie, J. Unthrottled Engine Operation using Variable Valve Actuation: The Impact on the Flow Field, Mixing and Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1414 2007
- Kato, S. Kadoi, N. Quantitative Measurements of Air-fuel Mixture Distribution in a Cylinder using LIF Proceedings of JSAE, No.974, 9738823 13 16 1997
- Ishida, R. Watanabe, T. Goto, D. Kaneko, T. Kaneko, M. Morikawa, K. Visualization of In-cylinder Flow and Accuracy Verification of the Lite CAE Proceedings of JSAE, No.79-09, 20095335 7 10 2009
- Katsuki, M. Onishi, T. Nakamura, M. Mixing and Evaporation of Fuel Spray (Mixing Progress Variable Ω) Proceedings of JSAE, No.77-08, 20085175 13 17 2008