This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of In-cylinder Mixture and Flame Propagation Distribution Measurement Device with Spark Plug Type Sensor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new method to measure in-cylinder flame propagation and mixture distribution has been developed. The distribution is derived from analyzing the temporal history of flame spectra of CH* and C2*, which are detected by a spark plug type sensor with multi-optical fibers. The validity of this method was confirmed by verifying that the measurement results corresponded with the results of high speed flame visualization and laser induced fluorescence (LIF) measurement. This method was also applied to analysis of cyclic combustion fluctuation on start-up in a direct injection spark ignition (DISI) engine, and its applicability was confirmed.
CitationKimura, K., Mori, S., Kawauchi, M., and Shimizu, R., "Development of In-cylinder Mixture and Flame Propagation Distribution Measurement Device with Spark Plug Type Sensor," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2045, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2045.
- Fujikawa, Taketoshi et al. “2-D Temperature Measurements of Unburned Gas Mixture in an Engine by Two-line Excitation LIF Technique” SAE Paper 2006-01-3336 2006
- Kojima, Jun et al. “Spatially Resolved of the Reaction Zone of Laminar Methane/Air Premixed Flames” Proc. Combust. Inst. 28 2000
- Ikeda, Yuji et al. “In-spark-plug Sensor for Analyzing the Initial Flame and Its Structure in an SI Engine” SAE Paper 2005-01-0644 2005
- Kawahara, Nobuyuki et al. “Measurement of Flame Propagation Characteristics in an SI Engine Using Micro-Local Chemiluminescence Technique” SAE Paper 2005-01-0645 2005
- Hunicz, Jacek et al. “Transient In-Cylinder AFR Management Based on Optical Emission Signals” SAE Paper 2004-01-0516 2004
- Longdill, S. et al. “Investigation into Air-Fuel Ratio Measurement of a High Performance Two-Stroke Engine by an Optical Method” SAE Paper 2002-01-0741 2002
- Chou, T Patterson, D J. “In-Cylinder Measurement of Mixture Maldistribution in a L-Head Engine” Comb. flame 1995
- Sohoma, K et al. “Application of Rapid Optical Measurement to Detect the Fluctuations of the Air-Fuel Ratio and Temperature of a Spark Ignition Engine” SAE Paper 910499 1991
- Sawada, H et al. “The Method of Measuring Air-Fuel Ratio by Radical Luminescence in High Combustion Pressure” SAE Paper 1999-01-0507 1999
- IIDA, N et al. “Study of Radical Luminescence of Premixed Flames - Equivalence Ratio Dependence on Radical Luminescence Spectra from Gasoline, Methanol and Methane Flames -” 12th International Symposium of Alcohol Fuels 1998
- Devriendt, K et al. “Kinetics of formation of chemiluminescent CH(A2Δ) by the elementary reactions of C2H(X2 Σ+) with O(3P) and O2(X3 Σ g − ): A pulse laser photolysis study” Chem. Phys. Lett. 1996
- Tamura, M et al. “Collisional Quenching of CH(A), OH(A), and NO(A) in Low Pressure Hydrocarbon Flames” Comb. Flame 1998
- Berman, M. R. et al. “Temperature dependence of CH radical reactions with O2, NO, CO and CO2” Symposium on combustion 19 1982
- Grebe, J Homann, K. H. “Kinetics of the Species OH(A2 Σ +), OH(X2 Π and CH(X2 Π) in the System C2H2/O/H” Ber. Bunsenges. phys. Chem. 86 1982