This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion Modes in a Diesel-CNG Dual Fuel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Diesel Dual Fuel, DDF, is a concept where a combination of methane and diesel is used in a compression ignited engine, maintaining the high compression ratio of a diesel engine with the resulting benefits in thermal efficiency.
One benefit of having two fuels on board the vehicle is the additional degree of freedom provided by the ratio between the fuels. This additional degree of freedom enables control of combustion phasing for combustion modes such as Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition, HCCI, and Partly Premixed Compression Ignition, PPCI. These unconventional combustion modes have great potential to limit emissions at light load while maintaining the low pumping losses of the base diesel engine.
A series of tests has been carried out on a single cylinder lab engine, equipped with a modern common rail injection system supplying the diesel fuel and two gas injectors, placed in the intake runners. Four load points are investigated and three different types of combustion are evaluated.
The study confirmed the desirable emission characteristics of HCCI and PPCI combustion and demonstrated the potential to control the combustion phasing by utilizing all degrees of freedom provided by a common rail injection system and two fuels.
CitationKonigsson, F., Stalhammar, P., and Ångström, H., "Combustion Modes in a Diesel-CNG Dual Fuel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1962, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1962.
- Backman, R. 2011 04 12 Open Source Rapid Prototyping Environment SAE 2011-01-0711
- Fish, A. 1968 The Cool Flames of Hydrocarbons Angew. Chem. internatl. 7 45 60
- Karim, G. A. Z. L. 1993 Exhaust Emissions from Dual Fuel Engines at Light Load SAE 932822
- Dec, J. M. S. 2003 A Parametric Study of HCCI Combustion - the Sources of Emissions at Low Loads and the Effects of GDI Fuel Injection SAE 2003-01-0752
- Konno, M. Z. C. 2005 Ignition Mechanisms of HCCI Combustion Process Fueled With Methane/DME Composite Fuel SAE 2005-01-0182
- Edenhofer, R. K. L. 2007 Low Temperature Oxidation of Diesel-Air Mixtures at Athmospheric Pressure Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 31 2947 2954
- Tunestål, P. 2009 Self-tuning gross heat release computation for internal combustion engines Control Engineering Practice 17 518 524
- Vanpee, M. 1993 On the Cool Flames of Methane Combustion Science and Technology 363 374
- Heywood, J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill Book Company New York 1988
- Rey, S. et al 2010 Condition of SI-CI Operation with Lean Mixture of Primary Reference Fuel and Hydrogen International Journal of Automotive Engineering 2