This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of the Effect of Biodiesel Blended Fuel on Diesel Combustion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Biodiesel is widely used as a diesel component worldwide as well as in Thailand. Even there are so many research papers studied about biodiesel combustion, performance and emission, the various sources of biodiesel and engine technologies makes it more complicated to conclude how biodiesel combustion react to the engine behavior, especially for transient state operation. Some of biodiesel user feels that the presence of biodiesel component in diesel fuel influence on poor engine driveability even only 5% V/V. While, there is a few publications comment on the low sensitivity of diesel fuel ignition delay quality when running with advance diesel common-rail DI engine.
The first experiment was done on low pressure diesel combustion which represented the conventional diesel technology, aiming to study the effect of fuel injection pressure on biodiesel combustion. The results shown that, the higher content of biodiesel blended fuel has no significant effect on diesel combustion.
The second experiment focused on the factor that affect to diesel engine combustion base on steady-state running with the common-rail DI technology. Due to the availability of pilot injection, the result of using biodiesel blended fuel was different from condition to condition.
The third experiment intended to investigate the differentiation of engine combustion when comparing the pure biodiesel with base diesel especially in transient operation. This test was focusing on the engine response or driveability when fuelling with biodiesel blended fuel.
CitationJaroonjitsathian, S., Sae-ong, P., Siangsanorh, S., Akarapanjavit, N. et al., "A Study of the Effect of Biodiesel Blended Fuel on Diesel Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1952, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1952.
- Jaroonjitsathian, S., Akarapanjavit, N., Siangsanorh, S., In-ochanon, R., Wuttimongkolchai, A., Tipdecho, C., Tsuchihashi, K., Shirakawa, H., “Evaluation of 5 to 20% Biodiesel Blend on Heavy-duty Common-rail Diesel Engine”, SAE 2009-01-1894
- Williams, R.G., Zemroch, P.J., Wall, D.M. and Meredith, B., “The Effect of Fuel Cetane Quality on Light-duty Diesel Performance”, Shell Global Solutions - CRC Project No. AVFL-11
- Kamimoto, T. and Kobayashi, H., “Combustion Processes in Diesel Engines”, Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 1991 Vol. 17 pp. 163-189.
- Yamane, K., Ueta, A. and Shimamoto, Y., “Influence of Physical and Chemical Properties of Biodiesel Fuel on Injection, Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics in a DI-CI Engine”, the 5th International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engine July 1-4, 2001.
- Fang, T. and Lee, C. F., “Bio-diesel effects on combustion processes in an HSDI diesel engine using advanced injection strategies”, Proc. of Comb. Inst. 32 (2009) 2785-2792.
- Yang, C., Kidoguchi, Y., Kato, R. and Miwa, K., “Effects of Fuel Properties on Combustion and Emissions of a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine”, Bulletin of the M.E.S.J., Vol. 28, No. 2.
- Heywood, J.B., “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals”, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1988.
- Serrano, J. R., Arnau, F. J., Dolz, V. and Piqqueras, P., “Methodology for characterization and simulation of turbocharged diesel engines combustion during transient operation. Part 1: Data acquisition and post-processing. Applied Thermal Engineering 29 (2009) 142-149
- Yonekawa, T., Okada, A., Ehara, M., Ogasawara, T., “Analysis of Driveability on Diesel Vehicles” SAE 840257
- Icingur, Y., Altiparmak, D., “Experimental Analysis of the Effects of Fuel Injection Pressure and Fuel Cetane Number on direct Injection Diesel Engine Emissions” Turkish J. Eng. Env. Sci. 27 (2003), 291-297
- Szybist, J. P., Boehman, A. L., “Behavior of a Diesel Injection System with Biodiesel Fuel” SAE 2003-01-1039
- Agudelo, J., Gutierrez, E., Benjumea, P., “Experimental Combustion Analysis of a HSDI Diesel Engine Fuelled with Palm Oil Biodiesel-diesel Fuel Blends” Dyna, Vol. 76 (2009), 103-113.
- Hsu, B.D., “Practical Diesel-Engine Combustion Analysis”, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 2002.
- Rakopoulos, C. D., Giakoumis, E.G., “Diesel Engine Transient Operation: Principles of Operation and Simulation Analysis”, Springer -Verlag London Limited, 2009.