This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Density Optimization of Underhood Sound Absorber Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 17, 2011 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Using advanced, multi-layer poro-elastic acoustical material modeling technologies, an example of acoustical performance optimization of an underhood sound absorber application is presented. In this case, a porous facing in combination with a fibrous sound absorber pad is optimized for maximum efficiency, which allows for dramatic reduction in pad density and weight. Overall sound absorption performance is shown to be equal or improved versus frequency relative to the incumbent design.
|Technical Paper||Optimization of Sound Absorbers Using Resistive Facings|
|Technical Paper||Headliner Absorption Parameter Prediction and Modeling|
|Technical Paper||On Sound Absorbing Characteristics and Suitable Measurement Methods|
CitationDinsmore, M., Bliton, R., and Perz, S., "Density Optimization of Underhood Sound Absorber Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1634, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1634.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Biot, M.A. “The theory of propagation of elastic waves in a fluid saturated porous solid,” J. Acoust. Soc. Amer. 28 168 191 1956
- Champoux, Y. Allard, J.-F. “Dynamic tortuosity and bulk modulus in air-saturated porous media” J. Appl. Phys 70 1975 1979 1991
- Allard, J.-F. “Propagation of sound in porous media: modeling sound absorbing materials,” Elsevier New York 1993
- Atalla, N. Panneton, R. Debergue, P. “A mixed displacement-pressure formulation for poroelastic materials,” J. Acoust. Soc. Amer. 104 3 1444 1452 1998
- Atalla, N. Hamdi, M. A. Panneton, R. “Enhanced weak integral formulation for the mixed (u,p) poroelastic equations,” J. Acoust. Soc. Amer. 109 6 3065 3068 2001
- Atalla, Y. Panneton, R. Atalla, N. “Measurement of the acoustic properties of open porous materials using an impedance tube,” 2nd AutoSEA User's Conference Detroit, Michigan April 2002
- ASTM E1050 - 08 “Standard Test Method for Impedance and Absorption of Acoustical Materials Using A Tube, Two Microphones and A Digital Frequency Analysis System,” ASTM International West Conshohocken, PA
- Allard, Jean F. Champoux, Y. Depollier, C. “Modelization of layered sound absorbing materials with transfer matrices,” J. Acoust. Soc. Amer. 82 1792 1987
- ASTM C423 Rev A “Standard Test Method for Sound Absorption and Sound Absorption Coefficients by the Reverberation Room Method,” ASTM International West Conshohocken, PA