This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of Pad Abutment on Brake Noise Generation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 17, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper overviews the modes of vibration of the principal component parts of a brake and their contribution to system instability during noise generation. It is shown that both in-plane and out-of-plane vibration are present and that both can be related to the vibration of the pad. It is further shown that the pad and its region often provide a solution or “fix” towards noise prevention and it is this area that forms the focus of this investigation. The collective evidence, proposals and associated theory are applied to real brake case studies when it is demonstrated that disc/pad interface “spragging” may be the source of brake noise. Measurements of the position of the dynamic centre of pressure (CoP) support the theoretical predictions that a leading CoP induces brake noise. Design proposals are suggested that may be applied early in the design phase as a means to reduce the propensity of a brake to generate noise.
CitationFieldhouse, J., Bryant, D., and Talbot, C., "The Influence of Pad Abutment on Brake Noise Generation," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1577, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1577.
- Fieldhouse, J.D. Newcomb, T.P. “The Techniques of Double Pulsed Holographic Interferometry Applied to the Problems of Noisy Disc brakes” Vibration and Noise 453 457 An international conference on vibration and noise April 1995 Venice, Italy
- Spurrr, R.T. “Brake squeal.” No. C95/71, Symposium on Vibration and Noise in Motor Vehicles, I.Mech.E. 1971 13 16
- Jarvis, R.T. Mills, B. “Vibrations induced by dry friction.” Proceedings of I.Mech.E. 1963-64 178 32 846 866
- Earles, S. “A Mechanism of Disc Brake Squeal,” SAE Technical Paper 770181 1977 10.4271/770181
- Earles, S. Badi, M. “On the Interaction of a Two-Pin-Disc System with Reference to the Generation of Disc Brake Squeal,” SAE Technical Paper 780331 1978 10.4271/780331
- Earles, S.W.E. Chambers, P.W. “Disc brake squeal noise generation: predicting its dependency on system parameters including damping.” International Journal of vehicle Design 8 4/5/6 538 552 1987
- Fieldhouse, John D. Ashraf, Naveed Talbot, Chris J. “ Measurement of the dynamic center of pressure of the disc/pad interface during a braking operation ” International Journal of Vehicle Design 51 1/2 73 104 2009
- Liles, G. “An Analysis of Disc Brake Squeal Using Finite Element Methods,” SAE Technical Paper 891150 1989 10.4271/891150
- Fieldhouse, J. Ashraf, N. Talbot, C. “The Measurement and Analysis of the Disc/Pad Interface Dynamic Centre of Pressure and Its Influence on Brake Noise,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 1 1 736 745 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0826