This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Engine Control Using the In-Cylinder Pressure Signal in a High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Emissions regulations are becoming more severe, and they remain a principal issue for vehicle manufacturers. Many engine subsystems and control technologies have been introduced to meet the demands of these regulations. For diesel engines, combustion control is one of the most effective approaches to reducing not only engine exhaust emissions but also cylinder-by-cylinder variation. However, the high cost of the pressure sensor and the complex engine head design for the extra equipment are stressful for the manufacturers.
In this paper, a cylinder-pressure-based engine control logic is introduced for a multi-cylinder high speed direct injection (HSDI) diesel engine. The time for 50% of the mass fraction to burn (MFB50) and the IMEP are valuable for identifying combustion status. These two in-cylinder quantities are measured and applied to the engine control logic. Fuel injection timing is controlled to adjust the operating MFB50 to the target MFB50 with PID control logic, and fuel injection quantity is controlled to adjust the measured IMEP to the desired IMEP. The control logic is demonstrated at steady-state and transient conditions and applied to an NEDC mode test.
CitationYu, S., Song, H., Min, K., Choi, H. et al., "Development of Engine Control Using the In-Cylinder Pressure Signal in a High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1418, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1418.
- Guillemin, F. Grondin, O. Chauvin, J. Nguyen, E. “Combustion Parameters Estimation Based on Knock Sensor for Control Purpose Using Dedicated Signal Processing Platform,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0790 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0790
- Punater, Ash Ripley, Gene Schten, Karl Controller for Rapid Development of Advanced Mode Combustion Algorithm using Cylinder Pressure Feedback 2008 Convergence Transportation Electronics Association 2008
- Ministry of Knowledge Economy, Republic of Korea Long term roadmap for regulation of vehicle fuel economy to cope with United Nation Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) 2009
- Yoon, Maru Lee, Kangyoon Sunwoo, Myoungho A method for combustion phasing control using cylinder pressure measurement in a CRDI diesel engine Mechatronics 17 2007 469 479 2007
- Asannis, D N Filipi, Z S Fiveland, S B Syrimis, M A Predictive Ignition Delay Correlation Under Steady-State and Transient Operation of a Direct Injection Diesel Engine ASME J.Eng. Gas Turbines Power 125 450 7 2003
- Heywood, J B Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals Mc-GrawHill New York 1988
- Katrasnik, T Trenc, F Opresnik, S R A New Criterion to Determine the Start of Combustion in Diesel Engines ASME 2006
- Coweli, L. Lefebvre, A. “Influence of Pressure on Autoignition Characteristics of Gaseous Hydrocarbon-Air Mixtures,” SAE Technical Paper 860068 1986 10.4271/860068
- Glavmo, M. Spadafora, P. Bosch, R. “Closed Loop Start of Combustion Control Utilizing Ionization Sensing in a Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0549 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0549
- Pischinger, F Reuter, U Scheid, E Self-Ignition of Diesel Sprays and Its Dependence on Fuel Properties and Injection Parameters ASME J.Eng. Gas Turbines Power 110 399 404 1988
- Willems, F. Doosje, E. Engels, F. Seykens, X. “Cylinder Pressure-Based Control in Heavy-Duty EGR Diesel Engines Using a Virtual Heat Release and Emission Sensor,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0564 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0564
- Kang, H. Farrell, P. “Experimental Investigation of Transient Emissions (HC and NOx) in a High Speed Direct Injection (HSDI) Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3883 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3883
- Hagena, J. Filipi, Z. Assanis, D. “Transient Diesel Emissions: Analysis of Engine Operation During a Tip-In,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1151 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1151
- Kirchen, P. Obrecht, P. Boulouchos, K. “Soot Emission Measurements and Validation of a Mean Value Soot Model for Common-Rail Diesel Engines during Transient Operation,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 1663 1678 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1904
- Koo, Taehyung Yu, Seungeun Choi, Hoimyung Han, Kyungchan Cho, Sunghwan Min, Kyoungdoug Characteristics of the Operation and Emissions of a Diesel Engine through Closed-Loop Control of the Main Injection Timing Using the Combustion Pressure IMechE International Journal of Engine Research submitted 2010
- Heywood, John B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1988