This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Modeling of Squeeze Film Flow in Wet Clutch
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An oil-lubricated wet clutch has a direct impact on the drivability and fuel economy of a vehicle equipped with an automatic transmission system. However, a reliable analysis of clutch behavior still remains a challenge. The purpose of this study is to advance the state-of the-art in CFD methodology for modeling transient clutch behavior. First, a new iterative scheme is developed, in combination with commercial CFD software, which is capable of simulating the squeeze film process in a wet clutch. The numerical results are then validated using analytical solutions of the Reynolds equation for simplified clutch geometry and various boundary conditions. It is found that the choice of boundary conditions has a strong influence on squeeze film simulation. The iterative scheme is further validated by comparison to clutch engagement experiments. The performance of the proposed model is encouraging, so this work may potentially lead to the development of the baseline architecture for a comprehensive multi-physics clutch model.
CitationCho, J., Katopodes, N., Kapas, N., and Fujii, Y., "CFD Modeling of Squeeze Film Flow in Wet Clutch," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1236, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1236.
- Hays, D. F., “Squeeze films for rectangular plates,” Journal of Basic Engineering, 243-246, 1963.
- Jackson, J. D., “A study of squeezing flow,” Appl. Sci. Res., 1963, Vol. 11, 148-152.
- Moore, D. F., “A review of squeeze films,” Wear, Vol. 8, 245-263, 1965.
- Wu, H., “The squeeze film between rotating porous annular disks,” Wear, Vol. 18, 461-470, 1971.
- Wu, H., “A review of porous squeeze films,” Wear, Vol. 47, 371-385, 1978.
- Singh, P., Radhakrishnan, V. and Narayan, K.A., “Squeezing flow between parallel plates,” Ingenieur-Archiv, Vol. 60(4), 274-281, 1990.
- Berger, E. J., Sadeghi, F., Krousgrill, C. M., “Finite element modeling of engagement of rough and grooved wet clutches,” Journal of Tribology, Vol 118, 137-146, 1996.
- Patir, N. and Cheng, H. S., “An average flow model for determining effects of three dimensional roughness on partial hydrodynamic lubrication,” Transactions of the ASME, Vol. 100, 12-17, 1978.
- Sanni, S.A., “Unsteady squeeze film between rectangular plates,” Wear, Vol. 213, 98-102, 1997.
- Gethin, D. T., Megat Ahmad, M. M. H., Claypole, T. C. and Roylance, B. J., “Numerical and experimental investigation into porous squeeze films,” Tribology International, 1998, Vol. 4, 189-199.
- Fujii, Y., Tobler, W. E. and Snyder, T. D., “Prediction of wet band brake dynamic engagement behavior: Part 1,” Proc Instn Mech Engrs, Vol. 215, 479-492, 2000.
- Fujii, Y., Tobler, W. E. and Snyder, T. D., “Prediction of wet band brake dynamic engagement behavior: Part 2,” Proc Instn Mech Engrs, Vol. 215, 603-611, 2001.
- Deur, J., Petric, J., Asgari, J., and Hrovat, D., “Modeling of Wet Clutch Engagement Including a Thorough Experimental Validation,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0877, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0877.
- Hamrock, B. J., and Schmid, S. R., “Fundamentals of fluid film lubrication,” Marcel Dekker, 2nd edition, 2004.
- Fujii, Y., Snyder, T., Waldecker, R., Tobler, W. et al., “Dynamic Characterization of Wet Friction Component under Realistic Transmission Shift Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0151, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0151.
- Natsumeda, Shinichi, and Miyoshi, Tatsuro, “Numerical Simulation of Engagement of Paper Based Wet Clutch Facing,” Transactions of the ASME, Vol. 116, 232-237, 1994.
- Holgerson, Mikael, “Apparatus for measurement of engagement characteristics of a wet clutch,” Wear, Vol. 214, 140-147, 1997.