This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
HCCI Gas Engine: Evaluation of Engine Performance, Efficiency and Emissions - Comparing Producer Gas and Natural Gas
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Technical University of Denmark, DTU, has constructed, built and tested a gasifier [1, 11] that is fueled with wood chips and achieves a 93% conversion efficiency from wood to producer gas. By combining the gasifier with an internal combustion engine and a generator, a co-generative system can be realized that produces electricity and heat. The gasifier uses the waste heat from the engine for drying and pyrolysis of the wood chips while the produced gas is used to fuel the engine. To achieve high efficiency in converting biomass to electricity it necessitates an engine that is adapted to high efficiency operation using the specific producer gas from the DTU gasifier.
So far the majority of gas engines of today are designed and optimized for SI-operation on natural gas. The presented work uses a modern and highly efficient truck sized natural gas SI-engine at Lund University, Sweden, that has been converted to HCCI operation to investigate efficiency, emissions and general performance while operating on producer gas. The results are also compared with natural gas operation. Producer gas has been proposed as a possible HCCI fuel in former publications  but was never used with the current gas composition from the Viking gasifier.
CitationAchilles, M., Ulfvik, J., Tuner, M., Johansson, B. et al., "HCCI Gas Engine: Evaluation of Engine Performance, Efficiency and Emissions - Comparing Producer Gas and Natural Gas," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1196, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1196.
- Ahrenfeldt, Jesper: Characterization of biomass producer gas as fuel for stationary gas engines in combined heat and power production. DTU, Denmark, 2007. Ph.D. Thesis
- Yamasaki, Y., Kanno, M., Taura, Y., and Kaneko, S., “Study on Biomass Gas HCCI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-32-0066, 2009.
- Wyszynski, M.L., et al.: Journal of KONES International Combustion Engines. Facilitation of HCCI Combustion of Biogas at Moderate Compression Ratios by Application of Fuel Reforming and Inlet Air Heating, vol. 11, 2004, Vols. No. 3-4
- Sridhar, G., et al.: Development of Producer Gas Engines. Bangalore, India : Indian Institute of Science, 2003
- Hernandez, Juan J., Lapuerta, Magin, Serrano, Clara: Estimation of the Laminar Flame Speed of Producer Gas from Biomass Gasification, Departamento de Mecánica Aplicada e Ingeniería de Proyectos. Universidad de Castilla, 2005
- Olsson, J.-O., Tunestål, P., Johansson, B., Fiveland, S. et al., “Compression Ratio Influence on Maximum Load of a Natural Gas Fueled HCCI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0111, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-0111.
- Heywood, B. John: Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, Mc Graw-Hill, 1988
- Brettschneider, Johannes: Bosch technische Berichte, Vol 6 (1979) No. 4, Pgs 177-186, 1979
- Stenlåås, O., Christensen, M., Egnell, R., Johansson, B. et al., “Hydrogen as Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1976, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-1976.
- Stenlåås, O., Christensen, M., Egnell, R., Tunestål, P. et al., “Reformed Methanol Gas as Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2991, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-2991.
- Henriksen, Ulrik, Ahrenfeldt, Jesper, Jensen, Torben Kvist, Gøbel, Benny, Bentzen, Jens Dall, Claus Hindsgaul and Lasse Holst Sørensen: The Design, Construction and Operation of a 75kW two-stage gasifier. Energy Vol. 31, Issues 10-11, 2006. pp. 1542-1553
- Ahrenfeldt, Jesper, Henriksen, Ulrik, Jensen, Torben K., Gøbel, Benny, Wiese, Lars, Kather, Alphons, Egsgaard, Helge: Validation of Continuous CHP Operation of a Two-Stage Biomass Gasifier. Energy & Fuels, 20(6), 2006, pp 2672 - 2680, DOI: 10.1021/ef0503616.
- Ahrenfeldt, J., Jensen, T.K., Henriksen, U., and Schramm, J., “Investigation of Continuous Gas Engine CHP Operation on Biomass Producer Gas,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3778, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-3778.
- Ahrenfeldt, J., Henriksen, U., Schramm, J., Jensen, T.K. et al., “Combustion Chamber Deposits and PAH Formation in SI Engines Fueled by Producer Gas from Biomass Gasification,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1770, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1770.