This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Material Microstructure on Scuffing Behavior of Ferrous Alloys
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Scuffing is one of the major problems that influence the life cycle and reliability of several auto components, including engine cylinder kits, flywheels, camshafts, crankshafts, and gears. Ferrous casting materials, such as gray cast iron, ductile cast iron and austempered ductile cast iron (ADI) are widely applied in these components due to their self-lubricating characteristics. The purpose of this research is to determine the scuffing behavior of these three types of cast iron materials and compare them with 1050 steel. Rotational ball-on-disc tests were conducted with white mineral oil as the lubricant under variable sliding speeds and loads. The results indicate that the scuffing initiation is due to either crack propagation or plastic deformation. It is found that ADI exhibits the highest scuffing resistance among these materials.
CitationHan, J., Barber, G., Zou, Q., Sun, X. et al., "Effect of Material Microstructure on Scuffing Behavior of Ferrous Alloys," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1091, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1091.
- Ludema, Kenneth C. A Review of Scuffing and Running-in of Lubricated Surfaces, with Asperities and Oxides in Perspective Wear 100 1984 315 331
- Lee, S. C. Cheng, H. S. Scuffing Theory Modeling and Experimental Correlations Journal of Tribology 113 April 1991 327 334
- Terheci, M. Manory, R.R. Herder, J.H. the Friction and Wear of Automotive Grey Cast Iron under Dry Sliding Conditions, Part 2. Friction and Wear-particle Generation Mechanisms and their Progress with Time Wear 185 1995 119 124
- Lathabai, S. An SEM of Mild-to-severe Wear Transition in Grey Cast Iron during Dry Sliding Scripta Materialia 38 10 1998 1557 1562
- Riahi, A. R. Alpas, A. T. Wear Map for Grey Cast Iron Wear 255 2003 401 409
- Prasad, B. K. Sliding Wear Response of a Cast Iron under Varying Test Environments and Traversal Speed and Pressure Conditions Wear 260 2006 1333 1341
- Keller, J. Fridrici, V. Kapsa, Ph. Vidaller, S. Huard, J. F. Influence of Chemical Composition and Microstructure of Gray Cast Iron on Wear of Heavy Duty Diesel Engines Cylinder Liners Wear 263 2007 10158 1164
- Hirasata, K. Hayashi, K. Inamoto, Y. Friction and Wear of Several Kinds of Cast Irons under Severe Sliding Conditions Wear 263 2007 790 800
- Clayton, D. Jenkins, C. H. M. Physical Changes in Rubbing Surfaces on Scuffing British Journal of Applied Physics 2 1951 69 78
- Wang, Y. Yao, C. Barber, G.C. Zhou, B. Zou, Q. Scuffing Resistance of Coated Piston Skirts Run against Cylinder Bores Wear 259 2005 1041 1047
- Properties and Selection Irons, Steels, and High-performance Alloys Metals Handbook 1 10 th ASM International 1990