This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Integrated CAD/CAE Functional Design for Engine Components and Assembly
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the present paper, starting from a first attempt design of engine components, a CAD/CAE integrated approach for designing engine is proposed. As first step, some typological quantities are setting in order to define the designed engine, for example the number of cylinders, displacements, thermodynamic cycle and geometrical constraints. Using literature approach and tailored design methodologies, the developed software provides the geometric parameters of the main engine components: crankshaft, piston, wrist pin, connecting rod, bedplate, engine block, cylinder head, bearings, valvetrain. Form the geometrical parameters, the developed software, using 3D CAD parametric models, defines a first functional model of each component and of their mutual interactions. Then a numerical analysis can be evaluated and it provides important feedback result for design targets. In the paper the particular case of a crank mechanism model is presented. The assembly of crankshaft, pistons, wrist pins, connecting rods are modeled by means of a full parametric approach and driven by the first geometrical design. Then a numerical validation of the solution is done and a feedback procedure is taken into account. In that case, a structural modification on the crankshaft is used for a dynamic torsional requirement. The proposed software proves to be a useful and quick instrument for a conception of a new engine. As a consequence, it is an interesting method to reduce the design time and costs, allowing automatic optimization techniques.
|Journal Article||Optimization of a Forged Steel Crankshaft Subject to Dynamic Loading|
|Technical Paper||Applications of Friction Algorithms for Rapid Engine Concept Assessments|
|Technical Paper||Engine Friction Modeling|
CitationRosso, C., Delprete, C., Bonisoli, E., and Tornincasa, S., "Integrated CAD/CAE Functional Design for Engine Components and Assembly," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1071, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1071.
- Delprete, C. Pregno, F. Rosso, C. “Internal Combustion Engine Design: a Practical Computational Methodology,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 263 270 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0477
- Tornincasa, S. Bonisoli, E. Delprete, C. Rosso, C. “A integrated tool for functional drawing of engine main components” Congreso Internacional Conjunto, XXI Ingegraf - XVII ADM 1 7 Lugo, Spain 10 12 June 2009
- Delprete, C. Tornincasa, S. Bonisoli, E. Rosso, C. “A tool for first attempt functional drawing of engine main components” TCN CAE 2008 International Conference on Simulation Based Engineering and Sciences Mestre, Venezia, Italy October 16 17 1 4 2008
- Hoag, K.L. “Vehicular Engine Design,” SAE International Warrendale, PA 978-0-7680-1661-1 2005
- Kliebhan, F. “Considerations in Crankshaft Design,” SAE Technical Paper 660472 1966 10.4271/660472
- Dubensky, R. “Crankshaft Concept Design Flowchart for Product Optimization,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0770 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0770
- Ballu, A. Falgarone, H. Chevassus, N. Mathieu, L. “A new Design Method based on Functions and Tolerance Specifications for Product Modelling” CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology 55 1 139 142 2006