This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Wear Resistance of Stamping Die Coatings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As high strength steels are introduced into automotive stamping applications to satisfy CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) and fuel economy requirements, wear of stamping dies is becoming a major issue. Many types of coatings/surface treatments such as: thermal spray, ion nitriding, chrome plating, PVD, CVD, and TD coatings are being used. Choosing the best coating is difficult since there is little data available to compare all types of coatings under the same operating conditions. A laboratory pin on flat test procedure was developed and utilized to compare the wear resistance of various coatings. SEM pictures of wear scars of coated pins indicated that coatings can effectively protect the substrate material from wear. Without coating the substrate material wears away rapidly. The test results showed that hard chrome performed well when run against various sheet materials, but its wear resistance was significantly lower than high temperature coatings.
CitationYao, Z., Zhang, R., and Barber, G., "Wear Resistance of Stamping Die Coatings," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1055, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1055.
- Coating Selection Materials performance 43 2004 62 63
- Dohda, Kuniaki Application of DLC coating to ironing die, JSME international journal. Series A Solid mechanics and material engineering 48 2006 286 291
- Zaidi, H. Djamai, A. Chin, K.J. Mathia, T. Characterization of DLC coating adherence by scratch testing Tribology International 39 2006 124 128
- Nordin, Maria Larsson, Mats Deposition and characterization of multilayered PVD TiN/CrN coating on cemented carbide Surface and Coatings Technology 116-119 1999 108 115
- Doering, Torsten New PVD/PACVD coating applications Advanced materials & processes 163 6 2005 62 64
- Wang, Wenchao Application of a high temperature self-lubricating composite coating on steam turbine components Surface and Coating Technology 177-178 2004 12 17
- Zhuangzi, Luo Zhaozhu, Zhang Weimin, Liu Jun, Tian Tribological properties of solid lubrication film/microarc oxidation coating on Al alloys Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China 15 2005 1231 1236
- Kenji, Yamamoto Katsuhiro, Matsukado Effect of hydrogenated DLC coating hardness on the tribological properties under water lubrication Tribology international 39 2006 1609 1614
- Baek, Dae Kyun Khonsari, M.M. Friction and wear of a rubber coating in fretting Wear 258 2005 898 905
- Siu, Jaffee H.W. Li, Lawrence K.Y. An investigation of the effect of surface roughness and coating thickness on the friction and wear behaviour of a commercial MoS2-metal coating on AISI 400C steel Wear 237 2000 283 287
- Cora, Ömer Necati Koç, Muammer Experimental investigations on wear resistance characteristics of alternative die materials for stamping of advanced high-strength steels (AHSS) International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture 49 2009 879 905
- Murakawa, M. Koga, N. Watanabe, S. Takeuchi, S. Tribological behavior of amorphous hard carbon films against zinc-plated steel sheets Surface and Coatings Technology 108-109 1998 425 430
- Cheung, M Khan, T.I Comparison of surface treatments for H10A tool steel in hot stamping process Surface Engineering 19 2003 137 142
- Sresomroeng, B. Premanond, V. Kaewtatip, P. Khantachawana, A. Koga, N. Watanabe, S. Anti-adhesion performance of various nitride and DLC films against high strength steel in metal forming operation Diamond and Related Materials 19 2010 7 9
- Yamamoto, Kenji Kujime, Susumu Yasunaga, Tatsuya Akari, Koichiro Hosokawa, Yoshinobu Takahara, Kazuki Tonomura, Tsuyoshi Yoshida, Junji Application of innovative PVD coating to stamping dies for processing ultra-high tensile strength steel sheets SAE International Journal of Materials and Manufacturing 2 2009 461 464
- Sresomroeng, Bhadpiroon Lawanwong, Komgrit Premanond, Varunee Hato, Ratchnee Kaewtatip, Pongpan Khanchawana, Anak Koga, Nobuhiro Tribological behavior of thin film coatings against high strength steels International Journal of Abrasive Technology 2 2009 313 328