This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement of Strain Distribution for Hole Expansion with Digital Image Correlation (DIC) System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Advanced high strength steels (AHSS) are increasingly used in automotive industry. A major issue for AHSS stamping is edge cracking. This failure mode is difficult to predict by conventional forming limit curve (FLC). The material edge stretchability is mainly evaluated using the hole expansion test. In this study, digital Image Correlation (DIC) is applied for strain measurement. DIC is a non-contact, full field, high accuracy and direct measurement technique that provides more detailed information for the evolution of strains on the sheet surface. Tests were conducted for five AHSS and nine cases. This paper will explain in detail the DIC technique and its results.
CitationChen, X., Yang, L., Chen, X., Chirac, C. et al., "Measurement of Strain Distribution for Hole Expansion with Digital Image Correlation (DIC) System," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0993, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0993.
- Konieczny, A. and Henderson, T., “On Formability Limitations in Stamping Involving Sheared Edge Stretching,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0340, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0340.
- Chen, X. M., Du, C., Wu, X., Zhu, X., and Liu, S-D., “SHEET METAL SHEARING AND EDGE CHARACTERIZATION OF DUAL PHASE STEELS”, IDDRG International Conference, June 2009
- Chirac, Constantin, “A Study on Plastic Deformation of Sheared Edge of Advanced High Strength Steels,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0340, 2010.
- Comstock, R.J.Jr., Scherrer, D.K., and Adamczyk, R.D., “Hole Expansion in a Variety of Sheet Steels”
- Sutton, Michael A., Orteu, Jean-Jose, Schreier, Hubert W., “Image Correlation for Shape, Mothion and Deformation Measuremets”
- Talyan, V., Wagoner, R.H., and Lee, J.K., “Formability of Stainless Steel”
- Stoughton, Thomas B., “Lagrangian Strain Transformation Notes”
- Nam, Tran Huu, Marvalová, Bohdana, “Three-dimensional Displacement Measurement of Inflated Air-spring Shell using Stereo-correlation Technique”
- Zhang, Dongsheng, Eggleton, Charles D. and Arola, Dwayne D., “Evaluating the Mechanical Behavior of Arterial Tissue using Digital Image Correlation”
- Berfield, T.A., Patel, J.K., Shimmin, R.G., Braun, P.V., Lambros, J. and Sottos, N.R., “Micro- and Nanoscale Deformation Measurement of Surface and Internal Planes via Digital Image Correlation”