This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Enhancement of ABS Performance through On-Board Estimation of the Tires' Response by Means of Smart Tires
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Active controls for braking dynamics are widely investigated in literature - as one of the way to improve vehicle safety and avoid collisions. Active systems commonly mounted on passenger cars like ABS/EBD, have achieved a high level of robustness towards possible changes in the tires' characteristics due to multiple causes such as: under-inflation, wear and also replacement of tires with new ones different from the first equipment series. Although these electronic control systems have been designed to be robust and no case-sensitive to such variations in tire conditions, a further improvement of their performance could be achieved by means of a continuous adaptive control.
This paper explores the opportunity of optimizing the performances of ABS control system through an on-board identification of the tires' response; in particular the real-time estimation of the contact forces provided by ‘Smart Tires’  joined with measurements available on CAN network, allows to evaluate the response of the tires in terms of longitudinal force/longitudinal slip relation. ABS parameters could be thus adjusted in order to adapt the control strategy to changes in the tires' characteristics. Tires' parameters identification is validated experimentally through different braking tests on straight track for different loads and inflation pressures. The performances of the optimized control system are then numerically evaluated through a validated 14 d.o.f. vehicle model.
CitationCheli, F., Sabbioni, E., Sbrosi, M., Brusarosco, M. et al., "Enhancement of ABS Performance through On-Board Estimation of the Tires' Response by Means of Smart Tires," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0991, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0991.
Load Simulation and Analysis in Automotive Engineering, 2011
Number: SP-2307; Published: 2011-04-12
Number: SP-2307; Published: 2011-04-12
- Chikhi, F. El Hadri, A. Cadiou, J.C. “Optimal control for Anti-Lock Braking System” Proc of Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation 2005
- Gobbi, M. Botero, J.C. Mastinu, G. “Improving the active safety of road vehicles by sensing forces and moments at wheels” Vehicle System Dynamics 46 1 957 968 2008
- Cheli, F. Leo, E. Melzi, S. Sabbioni, E. “On the impact of “Smart Tyres” on existing ABS/EBD control systems” Vehicle System Dynamics
- Cheli, F. Leo, E. Melzi, S. Sabbioni E, E. “Potential benefits induced by “smart tires” to existing ABS control systems” Proc. of XXI IAVSD Symposium 2009
- Braghin, F. Cheli, F. Melzi, S. Sabbioni, E. Mancosu, F. Brusarosco, M. “Development of a cyber tire to enhance performances of active control systems” Proc. of 7th EUROMECH Conference 2009
- Leiber, H. Czinczel, A. “Four Years of Experience with 4-Wheel Antiskid Brake Systems (ABS),” SAE Technical Paper 830481 1983 10.4271/830481
- Leiber, H. Czinczel, A. “Antiskid System for Passenger Cars with a Digital Electronic Control Unit,” SAE Technical Paper 790458 1979 10.4271/790458
- R. Bosch Gmbh “Automotive Handbook, 5th Edition” Troy, MI Society of Automotive Engineers 2000
- Braghin, F. Brusarosco, M. Cheli, F. Cigada, A. Manzoni, S. Mancosu, F. “Measurement of contact forces and patch features by means of accelerometers fixed inside the tyre to improve future car active control” Vehicle System Dynamics 44 1 3 13 2006
- Ray, L.R. “Nonlinear Tire Force Estimation and Road Friction Identification: Simulation and Experiments” Automatica 33 10 1819 1833 1997
- Yi, K. Hedrick, K. Lee, S.C. “Estimation of Tire-Road Friction Using Observer Based Identifiers” Vehicle System Dynamics 31 233 261 1999
- Ghoneim, Y.A. Lin, W.C. Chin, Y.-K. Sidiosky, D.M. “Enhanced Traction Stability Control System,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1591 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1591
- Kiencke, U. Nielsen, L. “Automotive Control Systems for Engine, Driveline, and Vehicle” Berlin, Germany Springer-Verlag 2000
- Van Zanten, T. Erhardt, R. Pfaff, G. “Control Aspects of Bosch-VDC” Proc of AVEC Symposium 1996
- Cheli, F. Leo, E. Melzi, S. Mancosu, F. “A 14dof Model for the Evaluation of Vehicle's Dynamics: Numerical-Experimental Comparison” International Journal of Mechanics and Control 6 2 19 30 2006
- Cheli, F. Concas, A. Giangiulio, E. Sabbioni, E. “A simplified ABS numerical model: Comparison with HIL and full scale experimental tests” Computers and Structures 86 13-14 1494 1502 2008
- Pacejka, H. B. “Tyre and vehicle dynamics” Butterworth-Heinemann Editions 2002