This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of Noise of Accessory Belt under Cold Condition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an experimental study of automotive V-ribbed belt slip noise under cold condition. In this study, a set of experiments was conducted to investigate the properties of the belt noise and friction using a self developed rig. The belt friction under cold condition is found to have higher value than that in room condition. The belt noise under cold condition is found to have much higher squeal frequency than that in room condition. This study is expected to provide accessory drive designers some fundamental understanding of belt startup noise under cold conditions.
CitationSheng, G., Qatu, M., and Narravula, V., "Study of Noise of Accessory Belt under Cold Condition," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0929, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0929.
- Abrate, S. (1992) ‘Vibrations of belts and belt drives’, Mech. Mach. Theory, Vol. 27, No. 6, p.645.
- Beikmann, R.S., Perkins, N.C. and Ulsoy, A.G. (1997) ‘Design and analysis of automotive serpentine belt drive systems for steady state performance’, Transaction of the ASME, Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 119, p.162.
- Connell, J.E. and Rorrer, R.A.L. (1992) ‘Friction-induced vibration in V-ribbed belt applications’: in Ibrahim, R.A. and Soom, A. (Eds.): ASME, DE-Vol. 49, Friction-induced Vibrations, Chatters, Squeal and Chaos, p.75.
- Connell, J. and Meckstroth, R., “Influence of Pulley Profile on Automotive Accessory Drive Noise,” SAE Technical Paper 940688, 1994, doi: 10.4271/940688.
- Dalgarno, K.W., Moore, R.B. and Day, A.J. (1999) Tangential slip noise of V-ribbed belts, Proc. Instn Mech Engrs., Vol. 213, Part C, p. 741.
- Sheng, G., Liu, K.M., Otremba, J., Pang, J., Qatu, M. and Dukkipati, R. (2004) ‘A model and experimental investigation of belt noise in automotive accessory belt drive system’, International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibration, Vol. 1, Nos. 1-2, pp.68-82.
- Sheng, G. Liu, K. Otremba, J, Pang, J. and Qatu, M. (2006) A new mechanism of belt slip dynamic instability and noise in automotive accessory belt drive systems, Int. J. Vehicle Noise and Vibration, Vol. 2, No. 4.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Standard, “Performance Testing of PK Section V-Ribbed Belts,” SAE Standard J2432, Issued Jan. 2000.