This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CAE based ‘Multi Objective Optimization approach for Spot Weld Connections Layout’ in Automotive Structure
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Spot weld connections are used extensively in the automotive industry to join panels of automotive structures. Spot weld connections play a very vital role in the overall structural rigidity and integrity of the Body in White. The spot weld connections and layout have direct impact on functionability of automotive structure and capital investment for robots, guns and operators.
There is continuous pressure on automotive engineers to reduce the number of spot weld connections in a structure without compromising on the structural performance across various disciplines such as crash, NVH & durability.
Hence the need is felt to develop a generic and systematic CAE simulation procedure which will guide the designer towards arriving at an optimum design, with minimum number of spot weld connections, which meet all the performance requirements of the structure.
This paper describes the complexity in considering number of spot weld connections as a design variable and the way to deal with, using proposed process. The objective of this study is to develop an optimization procedure wherein ‘number of spot weld connections’ can be treated as a design variable along with other design variables like thickness and shapes. The process can be used across various disciplines involved in the development of the BIW structure. Contrary to the existing methods found in literature which operate only with single discipline and single objective, this process can be used in multi-objective and multi-disciplinary optimization problems.
Case study of spot welds connection optimization of a truck cabin is demonstrated using this process.
CitationPakalapati, V., Katkar, V., and Babar, R., "CAE based ‘Multi Objective Optimization approach for Spot Weld Connections Layout’ in Automotive Structure," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0794, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0794.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Goel, Tushar, Stander, Nielen, “Multi-Objective Optimization Using LS-OPT”, LS-DYNA Anwenderforum, Frankenthal 2007.
- Rao, SS, “Engineering Optimization”, 1996, John Wiley.
- Chankong, V, Haimes, Y, “Multiobjective Decision Making: Theory and Methodology”, 1983, North Holland.
- Goel, T, Vaidyanathan, R, Haftka, RT, Shyy, W, Queipo, NV, Tucker, PK, “Response Surface Approximation of Pareto Optimal Front in Multi-objective Optimization”, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 196(4), 2007, pp. 879-893.
- Kim, IY, de Weck, O, “Adaptive weighted sum method for multiobjective optimization”, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 31(2), 2006, 105-116.
- Beveridge, G. S. G. and Schechter, R. S. (1970). Optimization: Theory and Practice, McGraw Hill, New York.
- Sawaragi, Y., Nakayama, H. and Tanino, T. (1985). Theory of Multi-objective Optimization, Academic Press, Orlando, Florida.
- Stadler, W. (1988). Multi-criteria Optimization in Engineering and in the Sciences, Plenum Press, New York.
- Rangaiah, Gade Pandu, “Multi-objective optimization: techniques and applications in chemical Engineering”, World Scientific Publishing Company.
- Puchner, K., Dannbauer, H., Meise, M., “Spot Weld Optimization Regarding Stiffness and Fatigue Using Standard Software,” SAE Technical 2006-01-1247, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-1247.
- Petrie, Charles J., Webster, Teresa A., Cutkosky, Mark R., “Using Pareto Optimality to Coordinate Distributed Agents”, AIEDAM special issue on conflict management Vol. 9, pp. 269-281, 1995.
- Zhang, Y. and Taylor, D., “Optimization of spot-welded structures”.
- Eom, J.S., Ju, B.H., Choi, N., Park, J.M., Lee, Byung Chai, Byun, H.B., “Optimization on the Spot Welded Configuration of Vehicle Components Considering the Structural Performance”.
- Yamaguchi, A., Wakana, G., Obayashi, K., Okabe, T., et al., “Spot-weld Layout Optimization for Body Stiffness by Topology Optimization,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0878, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0878.
- Varma, PVSCS, Katkar, V, Babar, Ranjit, “Optimization of bus chassis using HyperMorph and HyperStudy”. HyperWorks Technology conference 2008.
- Altair HyperStudy manual.
- Deb, Kalyanmoy, Miettinen, Kaisa, and Sharma, Deepak, “A Hybrid Integrated Multi-Objective Optimization Procedure for Estimating Nadir Point”.