This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evolution of Automotive Test Equipment in the Service Bay
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Most people still remember the introduction of the IBM PC in 1981 and the first Microsoft Windows operating system in 1985. These were the pioneering technologies that started a revolution in automotive test equipment in the service bay. What was once a purely mechanical garage environment where information was published annually in large paper manuals has evolved into a highly technical computing environment. Today vehicle networks link onboard vehicle control systems with diagnostic systems and updated service information is published daily over the Internet. A lot has changed over the last twenty years, and manufacturers of diagnostic test equipment are learning to deal with the constantly evolving computing platforms and host operating systems. This paper traces the history of automotive diagnostic equipment at Ford Motor Company and shares some of the hard lessons learned from the early systems. As technology forges ahead, there will continue to be challenges as well as opportunities. Those who have learned to evolve with technological advancements and embrace standards and legislation will not only lead the industry but also benefit from a smoother and more manageable future road map.
CitationCardillo, J., "Evolution of Automotive Test Equipment in the Service Bay," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0750, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0750.
- Moore, Gordon E. Cramming more Components onto Integrated Circuits Electronics 38 8 April 19 1965
- Intel Press Kit, Moor's Law 40 th Anniversary http://www.intel.com/pressroom/kits/events/moores_law_40th/ 2005
- Hare, Chris PC Hardware Links http://mysite.verizon.net/pchardwarelinks/current_cpus.htm#intel_desktop 2010
- OS Platform Statistics w3schools.com http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp October 2010
- Waldeck, William R. Diagnostic Protocol Challenges in a Global Environment Proceedings of the 2002 International Congress on Transportation Electronics 149 153 October 2002
- EPA - Office of Transportation and Air Quality The Final Rule for Service Information Availability, EPA420-F-03-003 April 2003
- EPA Control of Air Pollution From Motor Vehicles and New Motor Vehicle Engines Final Rule, 40 CFR Part 86, Federal Register 68 124 June 2003