This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance and Emission Characteristics of a 780 hp CIDI Military Diesel Engine Operated on Karanja Oil Methyl Ester Biodiesel Applying EGR with Supercharging
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Global warming due to increasing pollution and rapid depletion in petroleum reserves has given us opportunity to find bio fuels. Biodiesel is an alternative diesel fuel that can be produced from renewable feedstock such as edible and non-edible vegetable oils, waste frying oils, and animal fats. Biodiesel is an oxygenated, sulphur free, non-toxic, biogradable, and renewable fuel. The diesel performance and emission characteristics depend upon the fuel properties such as cetane number, density, low caloric value, and kinematic viscosity. In this experiment, 12 cylinders, 780hp CIDI military diesel engine performance and emission characteristics from non-edible karanja oil methyl ester (KOME) biodiesel and diesel fuel were compared by applying EGR with supercharging. The test results showed that the engine performance of karanja oil methyl ester biodiesel fuel was similar to that of diesel fuel. KOME biodiesel fuel with 20% EGR rate has produced lower exhaust emissions including 23% lower NOx emission and slightly lower fuel consumption as compared to diesel fuel with 0% EGR rate.
CitationPandey, A. and Nandgaonkar, M., "Performance and Emission Characteristics of a 780 hp CIDI Military Diesel Engine Operated on Karanja Oil Methyl Ester Biodiesel Applying EGR with Supercharging," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0639, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0639.
- Babu, A.K. Devaradjane, G. “Vegetable Oils and Their Derivatives as Fuels for CI Engines: An Overview,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0767 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0767
- Ma, E. Hanna, M.A Biodiesel production: a review Bio-resource Technology 1999 70 1 15
- Wang, Y. Zhou, L. B. The effect of two different kinds of vegetable oil on combustion and emission characteristics of a vehicle dimethyl ether engine Proc IMechE 221 J Automobile Engineering 2007
- Canakci, M. Performance and emissions characteristics of biodiesel from soybean oil Proc IMechE 219 J Automobile Engineering 2005
- Sato, Y. Noda, A. Sakamoto, T. Goto, Y. “Performance and Emission Characteristics of a DI Diesel Engine Operated on Dimethyl Ether Applying EGR with Supercharging,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1809 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1809
- Agarwal, AK Rajamanoharan, K Experimental investigations of performance and emissions of Karanja oil and its blends in a single cylinder agricultural diesel engine Applied Energy 2009 86 106 112
- Pandey, A.K. Nandgaonkar, M.R. “Investigation of Esterified Karanja Oil Biodiesel Fuel for Military Use on a 38.8L Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2806 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2806
- Agarwal, A.K Das, L.M Biodiesel development and characterization for use as a fuel in compression ignition engine Transactions of the ASME 123 2001 440 447
- Srivastava, PK Verma, M Methyl ester of karanja oil as an alternative, renewable source energy Fuel 2007 08 018
- Kim, Myung Yoon Yoon, Seung Hyun Hwang, Jin Woo Lee, Chang Sik Characteristics of Particulate Emissions of Compression Ignition Engine Fueled With Biodiesel Derived From Soybean ASME 130 2008 052805-1
- Abu-Hamdeh, NH Effect of cooling the re-circulated exhaust gases on diesel engine emissions Energy conversion and management 2003 44 3113 3124
- Last, R.J. Kruger, M. Durnholz, M. “Emissions and Performance Characteristics of a 4-Stroke, Direct Injected Diesel Engine Fueled with Blends of Biodiesel and Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 950054 1995 10.4271/950054
- McDonald, J.F. Purcell, D.L. McClure, B.T. Kittelson, D.B. “Emissions Characteristics of Soy Methyl Ester Fuels in an IDI Compression Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 950400 1995 10.4271/950400
- Kidoguchi, Y. Yang, C. Miwa, K. “Effects of Fuel Properties on Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1851 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1851
- Agarwal, D Sinha, S Agarwal, AK Experimental investigations of control of NOx emissions in biodiesel fueled compression ignition engine Renewable Energy 2006 31 2356 2369
- Yu, R.C. Shahed, S.M. “Effects of Injection Timing and Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Emissions from a DI Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 811234 1981 10.4271/811234