This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Weight Reduction Using Massive Carbide Free Thin Walled Ductile Iron Produced via Lost Foam Casting
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Significant research has been conducted with the goal of obtaining thin walled ductile iron for use in lighter weight designs. A review is made of the past efforts to achieve thin walled ductile iron. Most past efforts resorted to costly processes or non-standard production practices. Lost Foam Casting (LFC) is an alternate foundry process which used in conjunction with standard melt shop practices results in a massive carbide free structure when used with thin section size. Chemistry, hardness tests, microstructures, and design improvements of a case study are reviewed.
CitationDeBruin, M. and Jordan, S., "Weight Reduction Using Massive Carbide Free Thin Walled Ductile Iron Produced via Lost Foam Casting," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0426, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0426.
- Druschitz, A.P. Fitzgerald, D.C. “Lightweight Iron and Steel Castings for Automotive Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0679 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0679
- Gagne, M. “Thin-Wall Ductile Iron Castings: A Reality for Light Weight Automotive Parts,” Rio Tinto Iron & Titanium Inc. White Paper 2006
- Javaid, A. Sahoo, M. Davis, K. “Factors Affecting the Formation of Carbides in Thin-Wall D.I. Castings,” AFS Transactions 107 441 456 1999
- Showman, R. Aufderheide, R. “A Process for Thin-Wall Sand Castings,” AFS Transactions 111 567 78 2003
- Stefanescu, D. “Thin Wall Cast Iron: Phase II FWP/OTIS Number: DE-FC36-02 ID14233” http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/841620-ZpoBNW/native/841620.pdf Nov. 2009
- Gagne, M. Labrecque, C. Liao, G. “Thin-Wall Ductile Iron Castings: Technology Status 2008,” Keith Millis Symposium on Ductile Cast Iron USA October 20 22 2008
- Dogan, O. Schrems, K. Hawk, J. “Microstructure of Thin-Wall Ductile Iron Castings,” AFS Transactions 111 949 960 2003
- Druschitz, A.P. Littleton, H “Advanced Lost Foam Casting Processes and Materials,” SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf 2 1 140 146 2009 10.4271/2000-01-0213
- Sonnenberg, F. “Lost Foam Casting Made Simple” AFS 978-0874333107 2008
- DeBruin, M. “Lost Foam Casting (LFC): Lower Lead Time and Increased Capabilities,” Society of Manufacturing Engineers RAPID 2010 and 3D Imaging Conference USA May 18 20 2010