This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Achieving a Lightweight and Steel-Intensive Body Structure for Alternative Powertrains
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
FutureSteelVehicle’s (FSV) objective is to develop detailed design concepts for a radically different steel body structure for a compact Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV). It also will identify structure changes to accommodate larger Plug-In Hybrid (PHEV) and Fuel Cell (FCEV) vehicle variants. The paper will demonstrate seven optimised structural sub-systems that contribute to the programme's 35 percent mass reduction goals and meet its safety and life cycle emissions targets. It will explain the advanced design optimisation process used and the resulting aggressive steel concepts.
CitationShaw, J., Kuriyama, Y., and Lambriks, M., "Achieving a Lightweight and Steel-Intensive Body Structure for Alternative Powertrains," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0425, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0425.
- Beach, W. Kreutzer, D. Lieberman, B. Loris, N. 2008 The Economic Costs of the Lieberman- Warner Climate Change Legislation The Heritage Foundation www.heritage.org/Research/Reports/2008/05/The-Economic-Costs-of-the-Lieberman-Warner-Climate-Change-Legislation
- EDAG AG 2009 FutureSteelVehicle Phase 1 Engineering Report www.worldautosteel.org/Projects/Future-Steel-Vehicle/Phase-1-Results-Phase-2-Launch.aspx
- EDAG AG 2010 Phase 2 FutureSteelVehicle Steel Technology Assessment and Design Optimization Engineering Report www.worldautosteel.org/Projects/Future-Steel-Vehicle/FSVInterimReport.aspx
- Engineering Technology Associates, Inc. (ETA) 2009 Methodology Used in Future Steel Vehicle Wins SAE Vehicle Innovation Competition The Auto Channel www.theautochannel.com/news/2009/12/18/459143.html
- Geyer, R. 2007 Life Cycle Greenhouse Gas Emission Assessments of Automotive Material: The Example of Mild Steel, Advanced High Strength Steel and Aluminium in Body in White Applications www.worldautosteel.org/Projects/LCA-Study.aspx
- Porsche Engineering Services, Inc. 2002 ULSAB-AVC (Advanced Vehicle Concepts) Engineering Report www.worldautosteel.org/Projects/ULSAB-AVC.aspx