This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal Characterization of Air-Cooled Aluminum Die-Cast Cylinder Blocks with Various Cast Iron and Aluminum Liners
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In most air-cooled engines, aluminum cylinder blocks are lined with cast iron, which enjoys a higher wear resistance than aluminum. Recently, rather than a turned periphery, an increasing number of cast iron liners have employed as-cast periphery with projections, so the liner better adheres to the aluminum cylinder block, and improves heat transfer. This study attempts to maximize heat transfer while minimizing cylinder weight, by comparing four liners: (1) a cast iron liner with higher projections on its periphery, (2) a cast iron liner with lower projections, (3) a cast iron liner with lower projections, and aluminum-silicon coated on its periphery by thermal spraying, and (4) a high-silicon aluminum alloy liner with aluminum-silicon coated by thermal spraying. These four experimental liners were fitted in a die-cast low-silicon aluminum-alloy cylinder block, to investigate their joint and cooling characteristics. Results indicate that the aluminum alloy liner with aluminum-silicon coating increased the joint between the liner and the cylinder block, increased cylinder block cooling, and reduced cylinder block weight.
CitationNakashima, K., Sakakibara, Y., Teramoto, S., Yoshida, M. et al., "Thermal Characterization of Air-Cooled Aluminum Die-Cast Cylinder Blocks with Various Cast Iron and Aluminum Liners," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0316, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0316.
- Yoshida, T. “Aircooled Diesel Engine,” Sankaido, Tokyo 1963
- Sugimoto, M. “The Engine Technology of the Low Price Scooter, Choinori,” Engine Technology - Newly-Developed Engine Technical Paper 3 66 71 Nov. 2005
- Onishi, Y. Kawamura, N. “Technical Summary of High-Performance Motorcycle Engine (Introduction of the Engine Mounted on Kawasaki ZX-10R,” Engine Technology - Newly-Developed Engine Technical Paper 3 72 77 Nov. 2005
- Yamamoto, M. Tazaki, K. Ogawa, R. Azuma, M. “Development of Wire Explosion Sprayed Coating of Cylinder Bore for Motorcycles,” Kawasaki Heavy Industries Technical Review 145 42 45 Dec. 2000
- Teikoku Piston Ring Co., Ltd. “Cylinder Liners,” http://tpr.co.jp/popup/tech08.html Sep. 2010
- Akimoto, Y. “F20C Engine of Honda S2000,” Engine Technology 1 4 34 39 Jan. 1999
- Nakakubo, T. Nakamura, Y. Tange, A. Nakashima, M. Kobuki, S. “The Future of Gasoline Engine for FWD Passenger Car,” Engine Technology 2 1 24 29 Jan. 2000
- Aoyama, A. Kurita, H. Kamimura, M. “Development of Motorcycle Engine for Grand Majesty,” Engine Technology - Newly-Developed Engine Technical Paper 3 44 49 Nov. 2005
- Yoshida, M. Ishihara, S. Nakashima, K. Yamamoto, M. “Development of Air-Cooled Cylinder by Utilizing Natural Convection,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1385 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1385
- Yoshida, M. Ishihara, S. Murakami, Y. Nakashima, K. et al. “Optimum Fin Layout of Air-Cooled Engine Cylinder in Air Stream,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1229 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1229
- Nakashima, K. Toda, T. Ishihara, S. Yamamoto, M. “Optimizing the Cooling Effects of Fins with Slits on an Air-Cooled Cylinder by Increasing Natural Convection,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 1 1 877 882 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1170