This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automated IC Engine Model Development with Uncertainty Propagation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the development of a novel data model for storing and sharing data obtained from engine experiments, it then outlines a methodology for automatic model development and applies it to a state-of-the-art engine combustion model (including chemical kinetics) to reduce corresponding model parameter uncertainties with respect engine experiments. These challenges are met by adopting the latest developments in the semantic web to create a shared data model resource for the IC engine development community. The relevant data can be extracted and then used to set-up simulations for parameter estimation by passing it to the relevant application models. A methodology for incorporating experimental and model uncertainties into the model optimization procedure is presented.
Data from seven operating points have been extracted from the proposed data model and have been incorporated into a state-of-the-art in-cylinder IC engine model through the optimization of model parameters whilst accounting for the model parameter and experimental uncertainties.
CitationBrownbridge, G., Smallbone, A., Phadungsukanan, W., Mosbach, S. et al., "Automated IC Engine Model Development with Uncertainty Propagation," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0237, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0237.
Reliability and Robust Design in Automotive Engineering, 2011
Number: SP-2306; Published: 2011-04-12
Number: SP-2306; Published: 2011-04-12
- Venkatasubramanian, V. “Drowning in data: Informatics and modelling challenges in a data-rich networked world,” AIChE Journal 55 1 2 8 2009 10.1002/aic.11756
- Frenklach, M. et al. “Process Informatics Model (PrIMe)” http://www.primekinetics.org Sept. 2010
- Frenklach, M. Packard, A. Seiler, P. Feeley, R. “Collaborative data processing in developing predictive models of complex reaction systems,” International Journal of Chemical Kinetics 36 1 57 66 2004 10.1002/kin.10172
- Kraft, M. Mosbach, S. “The future of computational modelling in reaction engineering,” Philosophical Transactions of The Royal Society A 368 3633 3644 10.1098/rsta.2010.0124
- Smallbone, A.J. Bhave, A. Kraft, M. Dris, A. et al. “Moving Toward Establishing More Robust and Systematic Model Development for IC Engines Using Process Informatics,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0152 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0152
- Frenklach, M. Wang, H. “Detailed Modeling of Soot Particle Nucleation and Growth,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 1991 23 1559 1566
- Curran, H. J. Gaffuri, P. Pitz, W. J. Westbrook, C. K. “A comprehensive modeling study of iso-octane oxidation,” Combustion and Flame 129 3 253 280 2002 10.1016/S0010-2180(01)00373-X
- Hamosfakidis, V. Reitz, R. D. “Optimization of a hydrocarbon fuel ignition model for two single component surrogates of diesel fuel” Combustion and Flame 2003 132 433 450 10.1016/S0010-2180(02)00489-3
- Christensen, M. Johansson, B. “Influence of Mixture Quality on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition,” SAE Technical Paper 982454 1998 10.4271/982454
- Christensen, M. Hultqvist, A. Johansson, B. “Demonstrating the Multi Fuel Capability of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine with Variable Compression Ratio,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3679 1999 10.4271/1999-01-3679
- Christensen, M. Johansson, B. Hultqvist, A. “The Effect of Piston Topland Geometry on Emissions of Unburned Hydrocarbons from a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1893 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1893
- Christensen, M. Johansson, B. “The Effect of In-Cylinder Flow and Turbulence of HCCI Operation,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2864 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2864
- Sobol, I. “Uniformly Distributed Sequences with an Additional Uniform Property,” USSR Computational Mathematics and Mathematical Physics 16 236 242 1977
- Lourakis, M. Levenberg-Marquardt nonlinear least squares algorithms in C/C++ 2004 www.ics.forth.gr/∼lourakis/levmar/
- Sheen, D. You, X. Wang, H. Lovas, T. “Spectral uncertainty quantification, propagation and optimization of a detailed kinetic model for ethylene combustion,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 31 1 535 542 2009 10.1016/j.proci.2008.05.042
- Braumann, A. Kraft, M. “Incorporating experimental uncertainties into multivariate granulation modelling,” Chemical Engineering Science 65 1088 1100 2010 10.1016/j.ces.2009.09.063
- Braumann, A. Man, P. L.W. Kraft, M. “Parameter estimation in a multidimensional granulation model,” Powder Technology 197 196 210 2010 10.1016/j.powtec.2009.09.014
- Kraft, M. Maigaard, P. Mauss, F. Christensen, M. Johansson, B. “Investigation of combustion emissions in a homogeneous charge compression injection engine: Measurements and a new computational model,” Symposium (International) on Combustion 28 1 1195 1201 2000 10.1016/S0082-0784(00)80330-6
- Bhave, A. Kraft, M. Mauss, F. Oakley, A. et al. “Evaluating the EGR-AFR Operating Range of a HCCI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0161 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0161
- Smallbone, A.J. Morgan, N. Bhave, A. Kraft, M. et al. “Simulating Combustion of Practical Fuels and Blends for Modern Engine Applications Using Detailed Chemical Kinetics,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0572 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0572
- Su, H. Vikhansky, A. Mosbach, S. Kraft, M. Bhave, A. Kim, K.-O. Kobayashi, T. Mauss, F. “A computational study of an HCCI engine with direct injection during gas exchange,” Combustion and Flame 147 1-2 118 132 2006 10.1016/j.combustflame.2006.06.005
- Mosbach, S. Su, H. Kraft, M. Bhave, A. Mauss, F. Wang, Z. Wang, J.-X. “Dual injection HCCI engine simulation using a stochastic reactor model,” International Journal of Engine Research 8 1 41 50 2007 10.1243/14680874JER01806
- Mosbach, S. Aldawood, A. M. Kraft, M. “Real-time evaluation of a detailed chemistry HCCI engine model using a tabulation technique,” Combustion Science and Technology 180 7 1263 1277 2008 10.1080/00102200802049414
- Mosbach, S. Celnik, M. S. Raj, A. Kraft, M. Zhang, H. R. Kubo, S. Kim, K.-O. “Towards a detailed soot model for internal combustion engines,” Combustion and Flame 156 6 1156 1165 2009 10.1016/j.combustflame.2009.01.003
- Cao, L. Su, H. Mosbach, S. Kraft, M. et al. “Studying the Influence of Direct Injection on PCCI Combustion and Emissions at Engine Idle Condition Using Two Dimensional CFD and Stochastic Reactor Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0021 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0021
- Smallbone, A. Bhave, H. Coble, A.R. "Partially-Premixed Compression Ignition (PPCI) Engines: Solutions for Injection Strategy, Combustion and Emissions Using Detailed Chemistry," 33rd International Symposium on Cumbustion W1P086, 2010.
- Heywood, J.B. "Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals," McGraw Hill 1988.
- Braumann, A., Man, P.L.W. Kraft, M., "The inverse problem in granulation modelling two different statistical approaches," Technical Report 96, c4e-Preprint Series, Cambridge, 2010.