This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Forming Limit Curves for the AA5083 Alloy under Quick Plastic Forming Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Forming Limit Curves (FLCs) were developed for the 5083 aluminum alloy at conditions simulating high temperature processes such as superplastic and quick plastic forming. Sheet samples were formed at 450 °C and at a constant strain rate of 5x10-3 s-1, by free bulging into a set of elliptical die inserts with different aspect ratios. Friction-independent formability diagrams, which distinguish between the safe and unsafe deformation zones, were constructed. Although the formability diagrams were confined to the biaxial strain region (right side quadrant of an FLD), the elliptical die insert methodology provides formability maps under conditions where traditional mechanical stretching techniques are limited.
CitationAbu-Farha, F., Hector, L., and Krajewski, P., "Forming Limit Curves for the AA5083 Alloy under Quick Plastic Forming Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0235, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0235.
- Rashid, M. Kim, C. Ryntz, E. Saunders, F. Verma, R. Sooho, K. “Quick Plastic Forming of Aluminum Alloy Sheet Metal,” U.S. Patent 6 253 588 2001
- Krajewski, P. Schroth, J. “Overview of Quick Plastic Forming Technology,” Materials Science Forum 551-552 3 12 2007
- Hector, L. Krajewski, P. Taleff, E. Carter, J. “High Temperature Forming of a Vehicle Closure Component in Fine-Grained Aluminum Alloy AA5083 and Magnesium AZ31: Finite Element Simulations and Experiments,” Key Engineering Materials 433 197 210 2010
- Marciniak, Z. Duncan, J. Hu, S. “Mechanics of Sheet Metal Forming,” 2nd Butterworth-Heinemann Oxford 2002
- Abu-Farha, F. Shuaib, N. Khraisheh, M. Weinmann, K. “Limiting Strains of Sheet Metals Obtained by Pneumatic Stretching at Elevated Temperatures.” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology 57 275 8 2008
- Geiger, M. Merklein, M. “Determination of Forming Limit Diagrams - a New Analysis Method for Characterization of Materials Formability,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology 52 213 6 2003
- Kulas, M. Krajewski, P. Bradley, J. Taleff, E. “Forming-Limit Diagrams for Hot-Forming of AA5083 Aluminum Sheet: Continuously Cast Material,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 16 308 13 2007
- Kulas, M. Krajewski, P. Bradley, J. Taleff, E. “Forming Limit Diagrams for AA5083 under SPF and QPF Conditions,” Materials Science Forum 551-552 129 34 2007
- Luo, Y. Miller, C. Luckey, G. Friedman, P. Peng, Y. “On Practical Forming Limits in Superplastic Forming of Aluminum Sheet,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 16 274 83 2007
- Chan, C. Chow, K. “Analysis of Hot Limit Strains of a Superplastic 5083 Aluminum Alloy under Biaxial Tension,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 44 1467 78 2002
- Siegert, K. Jäger, S. Vulcan, M. “Pneumatic Bulging of Magnesium AZ31 Sheet Metals at Elevated Temperatures,” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology 52 241 4 2003
- Banabic, D. Balan, T. Comsa, D. “Closed Form Solution for Bulging Through Elliptical Dies,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 115 83 6 2001