This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Coating Time on the Performance of Electroless Nickel Coated Steel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Electroless Nickel (EN) coatings are used in automotive application due to its high hardness, uniform thickness and wear resistance. The study deals with the improvement of surface properties of mild steel by the deposition of Ni-P alloy. The steel specimens were EN coated for various time duration ranging from 0.5 to 3 h. The effect of coating time on thickness, structure, hardness and wear of EN coated steel are investigated. It has been found that the coating thickness is uniform and it increases as the coating time increases. There is no significant change in hardness and wear with increase in coating time. The structure of EN coated steel comprises a surface layer of Ni-P alloy deposit which is instrumental in increase in the hardness. Microhardness of EN coated steel is in the range of 500-540 Hv0.025. The wear rate and coefficient of friction of EN coated steel is found to be low compared to the base metal. EN coated steel could be of use for improving the performance and life of various automotive components.
CitationRajendran, R., Venkatesan, T., and Elansezhian, R., "Effect of Coating Time on the Performance of Electroless Nickel Coated Steel," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0057, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0057.
- Brenner, A Riddell, GE ‘Nickel plating by chemical reduction’ US Patent US2532282 1950
- Riedel, W Electroless Nickel plating UK Finishing Publications Ltd 1991
- Apachitei, I Tichelaar, FD Duszczyk, J Katgerman, L The effect of heat treatment on the structure and abrasive wear resistance of autocatalytic NiP and NiP-SiC coatings ‘Surf. Coat. Technol’ 149 2002 263
- Balaraju, JN Seshadri, SK Preparation and characterization of electroless Ni-P and Ni-P-Si composite coatings ‘Trans. IMF’ 77 1999 84
- Baudrand, DW Electroless nickel plating ASM International 1994
- Staia, MH Castillo, EJ Puchi, ES Lewis, B Hintermann, HE Wear performance and mechanism of electroless Ni-P coating ‘Surf. Coat. Technol’ 86-87 1996 598 602
- Staia, MH Enriquez, C Puchi, ES Influence of the heat treatment on the abrasive wear resistance of electroless Ni-P ‘Surf. Coat. Technol’ 94-95 1997 543 548
- Taheri, R Oguocha, INA Yannacopoulos, S The tribological characteristics of electroless Ni-P coatings ‘Wear’ 249 2001 389 396
- Quercia, G Grigoresu, I Contreras, H Rauso, CD Gutierrez-Campos, D Friction and wear behavior of several hard materials ‘Int. J. Refract. Metals and Hard Mater’ 19 2001 359 369
- Ramalho, A Miranda, JC Friction and wear of electroless Ni-P and Ni-P+PTFE coatings ‘Wear’ 259 2005 828 834
- Alirezaei, S Monirvaghefi, SM Salehi, M Saatchi, A Wear behavior of Ni-P and Ni-P-Al2O3 electroless coatings ‘Wear’ 262 2007 978 985
- Prasanta, Sahoo Friction performance optimization of electroless Ni-P coatings using the Taguchi method ‘J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys.’ 41 2008 1 11
- ASTM E 407 ‘Standard test method for micro-etching of metals and alloys’ 1989 518
- Ashassi-Sorkhabi, H Rafizadeh, SH Effect of coating time and heat treatment on structures and corrosion characteristics of electroless Ni-P alloy deposits ‘Surf. Coat. Technol’ 176 3 15 2004 318 326