This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Particle Velocity Measurements as a Breakthrough for Determining Acoustic Absorption Coefficient in Brazilian Trucks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 17, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Methods for determining the acoustic absorption coefficient of materials are broadly known in NVH engineering and traditionally rely on measurements performed in specimens carefully prepared such as those used in the Kundt's tube. It is understood that the acoustic behavior of a material slice in a well-controlled test bench provides very different circumstances from those found when the material is used in its application location (in situ condition) mostly because of the structural interactions and the boundary conditions involved. Many questions arise when the goal is to understand which absorbing material will be more effective and, moreover, if its cost is worth enough to solve particular noise issues. To answer those questions, acoustic impedance determination using direct particle velocity measurements were used in this work, in which several absorbing coatings used in specific regions of Brazilian truck cabins were mapped and compared. Results show that the technique is extremely powerful in quantifying the in situ acoustic absorption coefficient, thus providing more realistic results and demonstrating clearly that a more expensive material is not necessarily the most effective solution when dealing with sound absorption problems.
CitationOliveira, A., Coser, L., and Porto, V., "Particle Velocity Measurements as a Breakthrough for Determining Acoustic Absorption Coefficient in Brazilian Trucks," SAE Technical Paper 2010-36-0511, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-36-0511.
- Microflown Technologies “Chapter 6 - Acoustic impedance measurements” Electronic document http://www.microflown.com 27 Jul 2010
- de Bree, H. E. Nosko, M. Tijs, E. “A handheld device to measure the acoustic absorption in situ” SNVH 2008 Austria June 4 6 2008
- de Bree, H. E. Druyvesteyn, W. F. “A particle velocity sensor to measure sound from a structure in the presence of background noise” ForumAcusticum 2005 Hungary 29 Aug 2 Sep 2005
- Tijs, E. de Bree, H. E. “Recent developments free field PU impedance technique” SAPEM 2008 UK 17 19 December 2008
- Tijs, E. Nejade, A. de Bree, H. E. “Verification of P-U Intensity Calculation” NOVEM 2009 UK 5 8 April 2009
- Jacobsen, F. de Bree, H. E. “A comparison of two different sound intensity measurement principles” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 118 3 September 2005