This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical and Experimental Acoustic Analysis of Dissipative Silencers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 17, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this work the acoustic behavior of silencers with absorbent material is analyzed through the transmission loss. The numerical models are validated through the approximation of numerical and experimental data. The main steps for the development of this work includes: (i) obtaining the analytical model, (ii) obtaining the experimental data for acoustic characterization of the material, (iii) solution of the mathematical model using the transfer matrix techniques.
CitationBarbieri, N., Barbieri, R., and de Lima, K., "Numerical and Experimental Acoustic Analysis of Dissipative Silencers," SAE Technical Paper 2010-36-0509, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-36-0509.
- Chiu, M.-C. Chang, Y-C. 2008 Numerical studies on venting system with multi-chamber perforated mufflers by GA optimization Applied Acoustics
- Cummings, A. Chang, I.J. 1988 Sound attenuation of a finite length dissipative flow duct silencer with internal mean flow in the absorbent Journal of Sound and Vibration 127 1 17
- Denia, F.D. Selamet, A. Fuenmayor, F. J. Kirby, R. 2007 Acoustic attenuation performance of perforated dissipative mufflers with empty inlet/outlet extensions Journal of Sound and Vibration 302 1000 1017
- Dickey, N. S. Selamet, A. Ciray, M. S. 2001 An experimental study of the impedance of perforated plates with grazing flow Journal of the Acoustical Society of América 110 2360 2370
- Kirby, R. 2009 _A comparison between analytic and numerical methods for modelling automotive dissipative silencers with mean flow Journal of Sound and Vibration 325 565 582
- Kirby, R. 2002 Simplified techniques for predicting the transmission loss of a circular dissipative silencer Journal of Sound and Vibration 243 3 403 426
- Lee, I. 2005 Acoustic characteristics of perforated dissipative and hybrid silencers Tese de doutorado, The Ohio State University 195
- Panigrahi, S.N. Munjal, M. L. 2007 A generalized scheme for analysis of multifarious commercially used mufflers Applied Acoustics 68 660 681
- Panigrahi, S. N. Munjal, M. L. 2005 Comparison of various methods for analyzing lined circular ducts Journal of Sound and Vibration 285 905 923
- Selamet, A. Lee, I.J. Ji, Z.K. Huff, N.T. “Acoustic Attenuation Performance of Perforated Absorbing Silencers,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1435 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1435
- Selamet, A. Xu, M. B. Lee, I.-J. Huff, N. T. 2004 Analytical approach for sound attenuation in perforated dissipative silencers J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 115 5 2091 2099
- Souza, G. O. 2008 Análise numérica e experimental de silenciadores automotivos sem e com a presença de materiais de absorção Dissertação de Mestrado Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Paraná 126
- Sullivan, J. W. Crocker, M. J. 1978 Analysis of concentric-tube resonators having unpartitioned cavities J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 64 1 207 215
- Wang, C-N Wu, C-H Wu, T-D 2009 A network approach for analysis of silencers with/without absorbent material Applied Acoustics 70 208 214
- Wang, Y. S. He, H. Geng, A. L. 2008 Comparison and application of the experimental methods for multi-layer prediction of acoustical properties of noise control materials in standing wave-duct systems Applied Acoustics 69 847 857