This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Gear Lever Sound Quality Evaluation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Vehicle sound quality has become lately one of the main topics of study in the automotive industry which is associated with the quality of the product. Into the automotive development the static operational sound quality is one of the attributes that is considered. The sounds produced through the manipulation of items like the doors and interior components (windows, seats, safety belts, windshield wipers, and others) generated for safety and warning purposes are items related to the vehicle quality for customers. Those sounds based on relative level of intensity, duration, harmony and degree of contribution are elements that the customer will retain in mind, an overall quality impression. The sound produced during gear lever manipulation is important to the customer in order that the event should transmit low intensity and robust and soft impression. The purpose of this work is to evaluate this kind of event using binaural recordings inside the vehicle through subjective and objective evaluations. Psychoacoustic parameters (loudness, sharpness and roughness) and time - frequency spectrum (Wavelet transform) are proposed to correlate objective results with the subjective perception of gear lever sound quality.
CitationHuallpa, B., Marano, J., Sczibor, V., de Campos Ferreira, E. et al., "Gear Lever Sound Quality Evaluation," SAE Technical Paper 2010-36-0369, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-36-0369.
- Paul, S. de Bitencourt, R.F. Gerges, S.N.Y. de Andrade, A.L. et al. “Developing Psychometric Instruments for Evaluation of Sound Quality: Why and How to Explore Attributes and Semantics Related to Sound and Sound Quality,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0529 2008 10.4271/2008-36-0529
- Genuit, K. “Product Sound Quality of Vehicle Noise - A Permanent Challenge for NVH Measurement Technologies,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0517 2008 10.4271/2008-36-0517
- HEAD Application Note “Pyschoacoustic Analyses in Artemis” www.head-acoustics.de
- Gerardin, R.C. Huallpa, B.N. Alves, M.A.F. de Franca Arruda, J.R. “Analysis of Spark Ignition Engine Knock Signals Using Fourier and Discrete Wavelet Transform,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-36-0312 10.4271/2009-36-0312
- Veggeberg, K. Zhang, N. “Advanced Signal Processing Algorithms for Sound and Vibration Beyond the FFT,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2164 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2164
- Azadi, S. Soltani, A. “Application of Wavelet Analysis to the Suspension System Fault Detection of a Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2370 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2370
- Lee, H. Kwon, O.-J. Lee, J. “Modeling of Door Slam Noise Index by Using Sound Quality Metric,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2394 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2394
- Brol, S. Mamala, J.J. “Application of Spectral and Wavelet Analysis in Power Train System Diagnostic,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0250 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0250
- Otto, N. Amman, S. Eaton, C. Lake, S. “Guidelines for Jury Evaluations of Automotive Sounds,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1822 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1822
- Leite, R.P. Paul, S “Qualidade Sonora: Conceitos básicos ilustrados com um exemplo da área automotiva” Acústica e Vibrações (37) Junho 2006
- Lee, K.-H. Park, D.-C. Kim, T.-G. Jong-Kim, S. et al. “Characteristics of the Luxury Sound Quality of a Premium Class Passenger Car,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2183 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2183