This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison of Hydrodynamic and Elastohydrodynamic simulation applied to Journal Bearings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Due to the huge demand for more efficient engines, as consequence of reduced pollutant emission, not only has the automotive industry been trying to achieve deeper understanding of the physical mechanisms present in the engines, but also to improve its mathematical modeling. Concerning the journal bearings, this task has extreme relevance, when either downsizing or repowering approaches are aimed to be performed. Regarding the mathematical models, identification of a model which is able to guarantee both reliable results and non-prohibitive computational costs should be achieved. This work aims to present the comparison between hydrodynamic and elastohydrodynamic simulation, showing the particularities of each approach and its advantages and disadvantages.
|Technical Paper||Spray Modeling for Outwardly-Opening Hollow-Cone Injector|
|Technical Paper||Design & Development of a Prototype Gas-Assist-Molded Glovebox Door|
|Technical Paper||Optimization of Oxygen Sensor|
Citationda Cruz, R. and Galli, L., "Comparison of Hydrodynamic and Elastohydrodynamic simulation applied to Journal Bearings," SAE Technical Paper 2010-36-0360, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-36-0360.
- Currie, I. G. “Fundamental mechanics of fluids” 6 35 McGraw-Hill Book Company Toronto, Ontario, Canada 1974
- Duarte, D. Jr. “Tribology, lubrication and sliding bearings” Editora Ciência Modema - Published in Portuguese Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil 2005
- Duarte, D. Jr. “Matrix and algebraic systems applied to engineering” Editora Ciência Moderna Portuguese Rio de Janeiro, RJ 2008
- Duarte, D. Jr. “Tensor analysis” Symposium of Mathematical Modeling and Simulation Lecture notes Metal Leve S. A. São Paulo, SP, Brazil 1987
- Duarte, D. Jr. “Mathematical modeling and simulation of hydrodynamic journal bearings” Ph.D. thesis Department of Mechanical Engineering, Polytechnic School of Sao Paulo State University (POLI) São Paulo, SP, Brazil 1988
- Duarte, D. Jr. Moura de, C. A. “Non circular hydrodynamic journal bearings - the effect of housing non circularity on a hydrodynamic journal bearing performance” International Congress of computational and applied mathematics (CIMAC II) Lima, Peru August 2003
- Goenka, P.K. Paranjpe, R.S. “A Review of Engine Bearing Analysis Methods at General Motors,” SAE Technical Paper 920489 1992 10.4271/920489
- Gross, W. A. et All “Fluid film lubrication” John Wiley & Sons New York 1980
- Pinkus, O. “The Reynolds centennial: A brief history of the theory of hydrodynamic lubrication” ASME/ASLE Joint lubrication conference Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA 1986
- Pinkus, O. Sternlicht, B “Theory of hydrodynamic lubrication” McGraw-Hill New York 1965
- Richtmeyer, R. D. Morton, K. W. “Difference methods for initial value problems” Interscience Publishers New York 1967
- Sommerfeld, A “Mechanics of deformable bodies” 253 262 Lecture Notes on theoretical physics II Academic Press New York 1967