This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automotive Color & Trim: Harmony between Science and Design improving the user interface
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The development of innovative designs for mobility is a result of numerous studies that aim to discover new potential for projects or enhance existing ones. The automotive sector shares these aspirations.
Looking briefly at how cars have evolved in their history and the speed with which they are improved, it is possible to see how these studies are essential and together with the design result in more efficient and better quality products.
As important as an innovative Shape Design are the external and internal finishing of the car, they bear by themselves a thorough research of user trends and lifestyle, being therefore the starting point for the technical approach and viability of new technologies, colors and finishing that preserve and value of the product as a whole.
The essence of Color & Trim Design converges precisely for this point: the intensive research and development of new materials, technologies for coating, color, painting and finishing, applied to the interior and exterior of the vehicle resulting in higher durability and quality in the final product, meeting the users expectations.
The actual user interface between car and user goes far beyond the visual aspect: it is sensorial, tactile, it reveals itself in comfort, resistance, efficiency and quality of details and materials utilized which will be the basis for the user experience during the lifetime of the car.
To ensure an enhanced development, it is taken into account not only the aesthetic and formal values but also important technical data that are discussed and researched in depth, through rigorous tests applied to various materials and component parts of the car. In addition, the design for all items takes into account ergonomics and comfort focused on user, his/her lifestyle, wishes, as well as the lifecycle of the product from its conception until the end.
The automotive design embodies emotion and a lot of science. It seeks harmony between these two so important points and is the goal of the designers of Color & Trim: researching and developing the better way to be the best.
|Technical Paper||Splash and Spray Test Results|
|Technical Paper||Next Generation of Suspension Bushings: Review of Current Technologies and Expansion Upon New 3 rd Generation Product Data|
|Technical Paper||Durability Assessments of Motorcycle Handlebars|
- Luiz Alberto Veiga - Volkswagen do Brasil
- Carolina V. Pizarro - Volkswagen do Brasil
- Jonas A. F. Silva - Volkswagen do Brasil
- Luigi Carvalho Comine - Volkswagen do Brasil
- Marcos Hanson Zirk - Volkswagen do Brasil
- Mar¡lia Emanuele Biill - Volkswagen do Brasil
- Telma Elita C. Blasquez - Volkswagen do Brasil
- Cassiana Buosi P. Silva - Volkswagen do Brasil
CitationVeiga, L., Pizarro, C., Silva, J., Comine, L. et al., "Automotive Color & Trim: Harmony between Science and Design improving the user interface," SAE Technical Paper 2010-36-0162, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-36-0162.
- ARAUJO, Marcelo Riberiro de NAVEIRO, Ricardo Manfredi Desenvolvimento de novos materials e novos produtos na indústria automobilística UFRJ 1999
- BURSZYN, Marcel Ciência, ética e sustentabilidade / Marcel Bursztyn (org.) 2 São Paulo Cortez; Brasília, DF UNESCO 2001
- DIAS, Luiz Felipe de Melo Estudo da aplicação dos polímeros no design exterior de automóveis e suas contribuiçoes 2005
- MAGD, H. Curry, A. ISO 9000 and TQM: are they complementary or contradictory to each other? The TQM Magazine 15 4 244 256 2003
- PEDROSO, Marcelo Zwicker, Ronaldo Sustentabilidade na cadeia reversa de suprimentos: um estudo de caso do Projeto Plasma USP 2006
- RODRIGUES, Anna Letícia Pina Roupa nova, tecido velho PUC Rio 2007