This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Implementation of a test-bench solution for loudspeaker quality characterization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Vehicle audio system performance is an important attribute for final customers. Usually the system performance is evaluated by subjective judgments and also some sort of objective measurements, as for example: reverberation time measurement of the internal cabin, frequency response and harmonic distortion. But all of these measurements are performed by the automaker at vehicle level - with audio system and speakers installed inside the vehicle cabin - for general quality inspections and definition of some spatial parameters of internal trim design. Loudspeaker performance evaluation usually requires great amount of investments due to the acoustic chamber requirements. This work presents the home implementation of a test-bench solution used for loudspeaker quality evaluation that uses time selective techniques enabling measurement of free field response of loudspeakers to be performed without the need of an anechoic chamber, allowing the conduction of the measurement in a low cost test-bench, inside an ordinary quiet room, without spent large facility investments.
CitationFerraz, F., Castro, M., Sczibor, V., Faria, L. et al., "Implementation of a test-bench solution for loudspeaker quality characterization," SAE Technical Paper 2010-36-0104, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-36-0104.
- Struck, Christopher J. Temme, Steve F. “Simulated free field Measurements” Brüel & Kjaer Naerum, Denmark the 93 rd AES Convention 1992 October 1-4 San Francisco
- Müller, Swen Massarani, Paulo “Transfer-Function Measurement with Sweeps” Acoustic Testing Laboratory, INMETRO, Xerém, Duque de Caxias (RJ) Brazil J. AES June 2001 443 471
- Farina, Angelo “Simultaneous Measurement of Impulse Response and Distortion with a Swept-sine Technique” J.AES 48 350 108th AES Convention Paris 2000
- INTERNATIONAL STANDARD IEC 60268-5 Third 2003-05 Sound system equipment - Part 5: Loudspeakers
- LISTENinc Sequence Note “Splice Near and Far Field Sequence” 580 Harrison Ave, Suite 2A, Boston, MA 02118 www.listeninc.com/PDFs/seq_note_ported_splice.pdf
- LMS International nv Interleuvenlaan 68, Researchpark Haasrode Z1, B-3001 Leuven (Belgium)
- MATLAB R2007b 1984 2007 The MathWorks, Inc. www.mathworks.com
- Berdahl, Edgar J. Smith, Julius O. III “Transfer Function Measurement Toolbox” REALSIMPLE Project Stanford University https://ccrma.stanford.edu/realsimple/imp_meas/
- Smith, Steven W. “The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing” California Technical Publishing San Diego, California 2nd 1999