This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Different Behavior from car and truck drivers during nighttime driving in the Brazilian market
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Nighttime driving behavior differs from that during the day because of differences in the driver's field of view. At night, drivers must rely on their vehicle headlamps to illuminate the roadway. It is essential then that the driver is able to see the environment and road conditions in front of him. This paper presents the needs of the driver's (car and truck) due to the environment and road conditions from the state of Sao Paulo (Brazil). A survey has been done to compare the needs from the truck and car driver under different road conditions. The results show the necessity to tailor the beam pattern according to the driver needs, providing safer nighttime driving according to the driver's and market needs.
CitationLukacs, L., Fontes, C., Embirucu, M., and Pepe, I., "Different Behavior from car and truck drivers during nighttime driving in the Brazilian market," SAE Technical Paper 2010-36-0039, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-36-0039.
- Liu, A., Veltri, L., Pentland, A. P., 1998. Modelling changes in eye fixation patterns while driving. Vision in Vehicles, 6, 13-20. Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Gish, K. V., 2001. Driver behavior and performance using an infrared night vision enhancement system. Technical Report, DTHN22-95-D-07019. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Burg, A., 1967. Light sensitivity as related to age and sex. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 24 (3), 1279-1288.
- Egberink, H. O., Lourens, P. F., van der Molen, H. H., 1986. Driving strategies among younger and older drivers when encountering children. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 18 (4), 315-324.
- Fenabrave, 2008. Anuário da Distribuição de Veículos Automotores do Brasil 2008, Fenabrave - Federação Nacional da Distribuição de Veículos Automotores. website: www.denatran.gov.br.