This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optical Research of Spray Development of E85 Fuel in High Pressure Gasoline Direct Injection System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper discusses the analysis of ethanol (E85) fuel atomization generated by piezoelectric fuel injectors operating in a high-pressure gasoline direct injection system. The methodology and tests results of the influence of the fuel (E85) injection pressure and combustion chamber back pressure on the changes of the fuel spray geometrical parameters during the injection and on the values characterizing the injection quality have been presented in the paper. The tests were performed for one value of the air backpressure (1.5 MPa; as in modern supercharged DI engines) at the injection pressures of 5 and 20 MPa. The following comparative indexes were analyzed: linear and radial spray penetration during the injection and the velocity of the spray propagation.
The investigation consisted in a visual recording of the process of fuel (ethanol E85) injection realized into a high pressure chamber. The recording was carried out with a high speed camera (High Speed Star 5 by LaVision) fitted with a CMOS monochromatic image converter. The speed of filming was limited to 10,000 frames per second (time resolution 100 μs) in order to maintain the required spatial resolution of the performed image analysis (512x512 pixels; pixel size 17x17 μm). For the processing and analysis of the recorded images the authors used DaVis and Command Language by LaVision.
The analysis of the recorded images allowed a determination of the influence of the injection pressure on the geometrical parameters of the spray, uniformity of the injection and fuel atomization. The assessment of the radial speed of the spray propagation was performed with a resolution of 1° on the whole circumference from the front of the spray cone to the injection nozzle. This allowed determining of the level of unevenness of the radial spray penetration during the injection depending on the injection parameters.
CitationPielecha, I., Maslennikov, D., and Wislocki, K., "Optical Research of Spray Development of E85 Fuel in High Pressure Gasoline Direct Injection System," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2285, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2285.
- Lohfink, C. Baecker, H. Tichy, M. “Experimental Investigation on Catalyst-Heating Strategies and Potential of GDI Combustion Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2517 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2517
- Schwarz, C. Schünemann, E. Durst, B. Fischer, J. Witt, A. “Potentials of the Spray-Guided BMW DI Combustion System,” SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf. 1 1 648 652 2008
- Davis 7.2. La Vision 2009 Göttingen, Niemcy www.lavision.de
- Kim, S.-J. Kim, Y.-N. Lee, J.-H. “Analysis of the In-Cylinder Flow, Mixture Formation and Combustion Processes in a Spray-Guided GDI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0142 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0142
- Czajka, I. Pielecha, I. Wislocki, K. “A comparative analysis of diesel fuel injection parameters in piezoelectric and electromagnetic fuel injectors” Combustion Engines 3 138 2009
- Czajka, J. Pielecha, I. Wislocki, K. “Optical Research on Speed Distribution in the Kinetic Flame in LPG and CNG Combustion” Computer Systems Aided Science and Engineering Work in Transport, Mechanics and Electrical Engineering, Conference Transcomp Zakopane, Poland 2008
- Serras-Pereira, J. Aleiferis, P.G. Richardson, D. Wallace, S. “Characteristics of Ethanol, Butanol, Iso-Octane and Gasoline Sprays and Combustion from a Multi-Hole Injector in a DISI Engine,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 893 909 2008
- Aleiferis, P.G. Malcolm, J.S. Todd, A.R. Cairns, A. Hoffmann, H. “An Optical Study of Spray Development and Combustion of Ethanol, Iso-Octane and Gasoline Blends in a DISI Engine,” SAE 2008-01-0073 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0073
- Skogsberg, M. Dahlander, P. Denbratt, I. “Spray Shape and Atomization Quality of an Outward-Opening Piezo Gasoline DI Injector,” SAE 2007-01-1409 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1409
- Hemdal, S. Denbratt, I. Dahlander, P. “Stratified Cold Start Sprays of Gasoline-Ethanol Blends,” SAE Int. J. Fuels. Lubr. 2 1 683 696 2009
- Park, J. Xie, X. Im, K.-S. Kim, H. Lai, M.-C. Yang, J. Han, Z. Anderson, R.W. “Characteristics of Direct Injection Gasoline Spray Wall Impingement at Elevated Temperature Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3662 1999 10.4271/1999-01-3662
- Kobayashi, Y. Ishima, T. Obokata, T. “Spray Characteristics of a High-Pressure Swirl Injector for DISI Engines under High Ambient Temperature and Pressure Conditions” SAE 2008-01-0130 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0130
- Romunde, Z. Aleiferis, P.G. Cracknell, R.F. Walmsley, H.L. “Effect of Fuel Properties on Spray Development from a Multi-Hole DISI Engine Injector,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4032 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4032