This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Preliminary Numerical Analysis of Valve Fatigue in a Checkball Pump for Driveline Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 05, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recent studies have shown that hydraulic hybrid drivelines can significantly improve fuel savings for medium weight vehicles on stop-start drive cycles. In a series hydraulic hybrid (SHH) architecture, the conventional mechanical driveline is replaced with a hydraulic driveline that decouples vehicle speed from engine speed. In an effort to increase the design space, this paper explores the use of a fixed displacement checkball piston pump in an SHH driveline. This paper identifies the potential life-limiting components of a fixed displacement checkball piston pump and examines the likelihood of surface fatigue in the check valves themselves. Numerical analysis in ABAQUS software suggests that under worst case operating conditions, cyclic pressure loading will result in low-cycle plastic deformation of check valve surfaces.
|Journal Article||A Novel Pressure-Feedback Based Adaptive Control Method to Damp Instabilities in Hydraulic Machines|
|Technical Paper||Controlled Brake Component Development Process|
|Technical Paper||High Pressure Gear Pumps|
CitationYang, Y., Morris, B., and Liou, W., "Preliminary Numerical Analysis of Valve Fatigue in a Checkball Pump for Driveline Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2008, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2008.
- http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/OurCompany/NewsandEvents/NewsList/CT_190984 July 7th 2010
- Stewart, Harry L. Philbin, Tom Pumps Macmillan Publishing Company 1986
- Techsys Corporation Pump Failure Modes Techsys Corporation
- Fey, C. Goebel, R. Totten, G. Bishop, R. Jr. Root Cause Analysis of A Piston Pump Failure: A Case History Milwaukee, Wisconsin September 11 13 2000a International Highway and Power plant Congress and Exposition
- Gao, Y. Kong, X. Zhang, Q. “Wavelet Analysis for Piston Pump Fault Diagnosis,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1374 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1374
- Kandil, Magdy A. Method of Preventing Cavitation in an Axial Piston Pump During an Aiding Load and System and Valve Employing the Same Technical report Sundstrand Corporation Jan. 7 1997
- Fey, C.G. Totten, G.E. Bishop, R.J. Ashraf, A. “Analysis of Common Failure Modes of Axial Piston Pumps SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2581 2000 2000-01-2581
- Totten, George E. Wills, David K. Feldmann, Dierk G. Hydraulic Failure Analysis April 2001 American Society for Testing and Materials(ASTM), ASTM
- Eaton Corporation Supplier Inspection Report October 25 2004
- McElhaney, K. L. An analysis of check valve performance characteristics based on valve design Nuclear Engineering and Design 197 169 182 2000
- Todd, M. D. Casada, D. A. Review and analysis of check valve failure data Technical report Oak Ridge National Laboratory 1992
- nCode GlyphWork Documentation Set 5.1
- SIMULIA Abaqus Analysis User's Manual 6.8
- Manring, N. Hydraulic Control Systems John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 2005