This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Exhaust Emission Tests from Agricultural Machinery under Real Operating Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 05, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The tests related to the exhaust emissions from non-road vehicles are currently performed on a chassis dynamometer under the name of NRSC (ISO 8178) and NRTC. In light of the growing requirements related to the environment protection in transport the authors recommend determining the exhaust emissions through real vehicle operating conditions. The tests carried out under real operating conditions could be used for the process of optimization of future power trains of regular road vehicles and non-road vehicles. What is more, these tests should be taken into account in the works on the changes of the legislation related to the emission limits from combustion engines. The paper presents the results of the tests on the exhaust emissions from an agricultural harvester engine and a tractor engine in real operating conditions. The harvester operation during the test consisted in crops collection from the field and the tractor operation during the test consisted in plowing. The authors used SEMTECH DS, a portable exhaust emissions analyzer by SENSORS. Based on the obtained results an analysis of the exhaust emissions was performed in the aspect of selected engine operating parameters. The paper also presents an analysis determining the most frequently used range of engine loads and engine speeds. The obtained time density characteristics (distribution of engine speeds and loads in time) of the engines were juxtaposed to the engine measuring points of the exhaust emissions homologation test. The final part of the paper discusses the prospects and trends in further works on the exhaust emissions measurement under real operating conditions from vehicle and machinery used in agriculture as well as other vehicles of non-road application.
CitationLijewski, P., Merkisz, J., Fuc, P., and Pielecha, J., "Exhaust Emission Tests from Agricultural Machinery under Real Operating Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1949, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1949.
- AVL Current and Future Exhaust Emissions Legislation AVL List GmbH Graz 2007
- De Vlieger, I. On-board emission and fuel consumption measurement campaign on petrol-driven passenger cars Atmospheric Environment 31.22 1997
- Gao, Y. Checkel, M.D. “Emission Factors Analysis for Multiple Vehicles Using an On-Board, In-Use Emissions Measurement System,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1327 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1327
- Gao, Y. Checkel, M.D. “Experimental Measurement of On-Road CO 2 Emission and Fuel Consumption Functions,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1610 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1610
- Merkisz, J. Pielecha, J. Gis, W. On-Board Emissions Measurement from Light Duty Diesel Engine 12th European Automotive Congress Bratislava 29 June 1 July 2009
- Merkisz, J. Markowski, J. Pielecha, J. Emission Tests of the AI-14RA Aircraft engine under Real Operating Conditions of PZL-104 Wilga plane Combustion Engines 3 2009 138
- Merkisz, J. Fuć, P. Lijewski, P. Bielaczyc, P. “The Comparison of the Emissions from Light Duty Vehicle in On-road and NEDC Tests,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1298 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1298
- Lijewski, P. Merkisz, J. “Time Density of Engine Operation in Non-road Vehicles in the Aspect of the Homologation Toxic Emission Test,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1282 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1282
- Nelson, A.K. Groblicki, P.J. Real world emissions from a modern production vehicle driven in Los Angeles Journal of Air Waste and Management Association 43 1993
- Shahinian, V.D. SENSOR tech-ct Update Application Software for SEMTECH Mobile Emission Analyzers Sensors 4th Annual SUN (SEMTECH User Network) Conference 22 10 2007
- Vojtisek, M. Allsop, J. E. Lanni, T. R. On-Water, Real-World Exhaust Emissions from Staten Island Ferry Boats Proceedings of the 13th CRC On-road Vehicle Emissions Workshop San Diego, California, USA 2003
- Vojtisek, M. Cobb, J. T. On-road light duty vehicle emission measurement using a novel inexpensive onboard portable system Proceedings of the 8th CRC On-road Vehicle Emissions Workshop San Diego, California, USA 1998