This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Force Feedback for Assembly of Aircraft Structures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Variability in composite manufacture and the limitations in positional accuracy of common industrial robots have hampered automation of assembly tasks within aircraft manufacturing. One way to handle geometry variations and robot compliancy is to use force control. Force control technology utilizes a sensor mounted on the robot to feedback force data to the controller system so instead of being position driven, i.e. programmed to achieve a certain position with the tool, the robot can be programmed to achieve a certain force. This paper presents an experimental case where a compliant rib is aligned to multiple surfaces using force feedback and an industrial robot system from ABB. Two types of ribs where used, one full size carbon fiber rib, and one smaller metal replica for evaluation purposes. The alignment sequence consisted of several iterative steps and a search procedure was implemented within the robot control system. The technology has the potential to lessen the need for dedicated tooling, reduce the need for traditional workspace calibration and can be used in several other applications, such as pin and socket type assemblies found in pylons or landing gear or “part to part” assemblies such as leading edge ribs to spar.
CitationJonsson, M., Murray, T., Robertsson, A., Stolt, A. et al., "Force Feedback for Assembly of Aircraft Structures," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1872, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1872.
- Jayaweera, N. & Webb, P. Adaptive robotic assembly of compliant aero-structure components. Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing 23:180-194. 2007.
- Jayaweera, N., Webb, P. & Johnson, C. Measurement assisted robotic assembly of fabricated aero-engine components. Assembly Automation 30:56-65. 2010.
- Olsson, T., Haage, M., Kihlman, H., Johansson, R., Nilsson, K., Robertsson, A., Björkman, M., Isaksson, R., Ossbahr, G. & Brogårdh, T. Cost-efficient drilling using industrial robots with high-bandwidth force feedback. Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing 26:24-38. 2010.
- Proceedings of the ICRA 2010 Workshop on Innovative Robot Control Architectures for Demanding (Research) Applications. Editors: Kubus, D., Nilsson, K. & Johansson, R.. 2010.
- De Schutter, J., De Laet, T., Rutgeerts, J., Decré, W., Smits, R., Aertbeliën, E., Claes, K. & Bruyninckx, H. Constraint-based task specification and estimation for sensor-based robot systems in the presence of geometric uncertainty. International Journal of Robotics Research 26:433-455. 2007.