This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
New Method to Identify Dynamic Normal Stiffness and Damping of Shims for CAE Modeling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 10, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
One of the most important means used for suppressing squeal noise in disc brakes is the application of shims on the pad backplates. In many cases this proves a very efficient tool depending on the type of shim applied in the specific cases. Building up knowledge on the effects of shims have been ongoing for several years, and measuring the important parameters characterizing the shims is crucial for understanding how to develop and implement the shims in an optimal way. Several methods are described in literature for measuring the constrained layer damping effect and one method is described for direct measurement of the shear stiffness and shear damping properties. However, up to now no method has been available that can measure and characterize the normal stiffness and damping properties of shims. This is one of the most important properties of shims as it controls the de-coupling effect in the direction of the normal forces. This has a big influence on system instabilities and noise. In the work described in this paper a new method has been developed and verified, which will be used as basis for a standard for measuring shim dynamic normal stiffness and damping. These data improve the CAE models for stability analyses, which is shown in examples.
|Technical Paper||Effect of Brake Insulator Bond State on Damping Performance|
|Technical Paper||Considering the Dynamic Pad Stiffness in FEM Analysis of Disk Brake Squeal|
|Technical Paper||Use of Hexagonal Boron Nitride in Automotive Friction Materials|
CitationFlint, J., Chinnasamy, A., and Stikvoort, A., "New Method to Identify Dynamic Normal Stiffness and Damping of Shims for CAE Modeling," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1711, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1711.
- Standard Test Method for Measuring Vibration-Damping Properties of Materials ASTM International 10.1520/E0756-05
- Flint, J. “A Review of Theories on Constrained Layer Damping and Some Verification Measurements on Shim Material,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3321 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3321
- Flint, J. McDaniel, J.G. Li, X. Elvenkemper, A. et al. “Measurement and Simulation of the Complex Shear Modulus of Insulators,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2799 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2799
- Ozgen, G.O. “Design and Development of a Complex Shear Modulus Measurement Setup for Viscoelastic Materials,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2285 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2285
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Standard “Road Vehicles - Brake Linings - Compressibility Test Procedure,” SAE Standard J2468 Dec. 2006
- EKB 1108 Compressibility Test for Anti Noise Shims 09 03 2007
- McDaniel, J.G. Li, X. Elvenkemper, A. Wegmann, E. et al. “Simulating the Effect of Insulators in Reducing Disc Brake Squeal,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3944 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3944