This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Brake Rotor Modal Frequencies: Measurement and Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 10, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As part of the development of a new SAE Recommended Practice for brake rotor modal frequencies measurement and control, the SAE Brake NVH Standards Committee developed detailed recommendations for such measurement, data reporting and use in quality control. This paper addresses the need for formalizing measurement techniques of rotor modal frequencies and documenting the proper set up and measurement parameters. Additionally, a rotor mode classification system is proposed so that important rotor modes may be tracked. Statistical control of modal frequencies is presented and practical limits are defined
CitationAbdelhamid, M. and Denys, E., "Brake Rotor Modal Frequencies: Measurement and Control," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1688, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1688.
- Abdelhamid, M. Kraus, T. “Evaluation of Modal Testing Use as Means of Controlling Brake Rotors Quality,” NoiseCon08 paper NC08 023 2008
- Yang, M. Afaneh, A.-H. Blaschke, P. “A Study of Disc Brake High Frequency Squeals and Disc In-Plane/Our-of-Plane Modes,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1621 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1621
- Lee, H. Singh, R. “Comparison Of Two Analytical Methods Used To Calculate Sound Radiation From Radial Vibration Modes Of A Thick Annular Disk” Journal of Sound and Vibration 285 4-5 6 August 2005 1210 1216
- Chen, F. McKillip, D. Luo, J. Wu, S.F. “Measurement and Analysis of Rotor In-plane Mode Induced Disc Brake Squeal and Beyond,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2798 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2798
- Chen, F. “Disc Brake Squeal: An Overview,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0587 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0587
- Zhang, L. Wang, A. Mayer, M. Blaschke, P. “Component Contribution and Eigenvalue Sensitivity Analysis for Brake Squeal” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3346 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3346