This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling and Drivability Assessment of a Single-Motor Strong Hybrid at Engine Start
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 05, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Using a clutch to disconnect and shut-off the engine when engine power is not required, the single-motor strong hybrid has the potential for significant fuel economy improvement with reduced costs and less system complexity. However, it is a challenge for the single-motor strong hybrid to maintain acceptable drivability at engine start since it requires diverting motor torque through a slipping clutch to start the engine.
In this study, dynamic simulations of the hybrid transmission driveline with hydraulic and motor controls have been employed to assess the feasibility of the single-motor strong hybrid, to address drivability issues specific to this hybrid architecture at engine start, and to develop control methods to manage driveline disturbances to an acceptable level.
CitationHe, Y., Bucknor, N., Smith, A., and Yang, H., "Modeling and Drivability Assessment of a Single-Motor Strong Hybrid at Engine Start," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1440, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1440.
- Miller J.M. Propulsion Systems for Hybrid Vehicles Institution of Electrical Engineering and Technology London, UK 2004
- Tamai, G. Hoang, T. Taylor, J. Skaggs, C. Downs, B. “Saturn Engine Stop-Start Systems with an Automatic Transmission” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0326 2001
- Evans, D.G. Polom, M.E. Poulos, S.G. Van Maanen K.D. Zarger, T.H. “Electric Machine Powertrain Integration for GM's Hybrid Full-Size Pickup Truck” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0084 2003
- Evans, D.G. Polom, M.E. Poulos, S.G. Van Maanen K.D. Zarger, T.H. “Powertrain Architecture and Controls Integration for GM's Hybrid Full-Size Pickup Truck” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0085 2003
- Tamai, G. Jeffers, M.A. Lo, C. Thurston, C. Tarnowsky, S. Poulos, S. “Development of the Hybrid System for the Saturn VUE Hybrid” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1502 2006
- Conlon, B. “Comparative Analysis of Single and Combined Hybrid Electrically Variable Transmission Operating Modes” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1162 2005
- Grewe, T.M. Conlon, B. Holmes, A.G. “Defining the General Motors 2-Mode Hybrid Transmission” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0273 2007
- Hendrickson, J. Holmes, A.G. Freiman, D. “General Motors Front Wheel Drive Two-Mode Hybrid Transmission” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0508 2009
- AMESim User Manual, version 4.2 2004