This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Active Noise Control and Active Sound Design - Enabling Factors for New Powertrain Technologies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 09, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 6th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress - Sustainable NVH solutions inspired by ecology and economy
New powertrain technologies like cylinder deactivation, downsizing, hybrids and even electrical vehicles present new challenges for vehicle noise control and sound design. One tool within the NVH solution toolbox is Active Noise Control (ANC) and Active Sound Design (ASD). Being in production for half a decade to enhance the new powertrain NVH experience, the technology has proven its applicability in practice. Further production applications of the technology are anticipated for the next years.
The paper presents an overview of the current status and global application of ANC and ASD technologies. It gives a short outlook to new technologies and applications from road noise cancellation to electrical vehicle exterior sound design. It concludes with a discussion of the challenges arising when bringing ANC into real production - many of them connected with the very interdisciplinary approach required to get the technology applied. These challenges are technical as well as organizational (e.g. close co-operation of Powertrain/NVH and Audio department, mixing powertrain and audio options in a vehicle) and commercial.
|Technical Paper||Lightweight Active Exhaust Silencers for Passenger Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||On the Perceived Roughness of Automotive Powertrain Sounds|
|Technical Paper||Analysis of Driveability on Diesel Vehicles|
CitationSchirmacher, R., "Active Noise Control and Active Sound Design - Enabling Factors for New Powertrain Technologies," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1408, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1408.
- Hasegawa, S. Tabata, T. Kinshita, A. Hyodo, H. “The Development of an Active Noise Control System for Automobiles,” SAE Technical Paper 922086 1992
- Schirmacher, R. Lippold, R. Steinbach, F. Walter, F. 2007 Praktische Aspekte beim Einsatz von ANC-Systemen in PKW Fortschritte der Akustik - DAGA 2007 707 708
- Evert, F. Lippold, R. Schirmacher, R. Walter, F. 2005 Verfahren und System zur aktiven Geräuschbeeinflussung, Verwendung in einem Kraftfahrzeug German Patent Application No. 10 2005 060 064.6
- Schirmacher, R. Evert, F Martner, O 2006 Active sound design: Concepts for future engine sounds Proc. 4th Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress
- BMW Group Media Information 10 2009 Innovation Days 2009 - Interior, Infotainment, Mobility https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressclub/p/pcgl/pressDetail.html?outputChannelId=6&id=T0054613EN&left_menu_item=node__2367