This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Method to Calculate Instantaneous Vehicle Emissions using OBD Data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The actual type approval procedure of vehicles, based on a fixed driving cycle for all the vehicles (NEDC), is not representative of their real on-road usage: the driving style and its influence on consumption and emissions cannot be neglected. The on-road impact of vehicles on their real use is not known and it is difficult to measure (the PEMS are expensive, have big volume and mass and need continuous maintenance); the objective of this work is to develop a methodology to calculate in real time the energy and environmental impact of spark ignition vehicles, using the onboard sensors of the vehicle and emissions models to calculate them.
An onboard instrumentation able to communicate with the electronic system of the vehicle (OBD/CAN) was developed to collect all the sensor data installed on a vehicle: those values are used as input values to the emissions models of CO₂, CO, HC and NOx developed in the present work. The CO₂ and CO have been calculated using a chemical equilibrium combustion model with 6 combustion products, with the equilibrium temperature used as a calibration constant. HC and NOx, produced during transients, are assumed to be dependent from the accelerator pedal gradient, but during engine cold start also from the catalyst temperature.
To validate the models, a spark ignition hybrid vehicle, the Honda Civic Hybrid has been tested on a chassis dynamometer running the three Artemis driving cycles. The emissions have been measured with the CVS (taken as reference) and with a portable emission analyzer, (Horiba OBS 1300), used for comparison with the models. The results shows that the values calculated by the models are comparable with those measured by OBS, but for HC and NOx are better because the OBS gave inaccuracies due to its high minimum resolution.
CitationOrtenzi, F. and Costagliola, M., "A New Method to Calculate Instantaneous Vehicle Emissions using OBD Data," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1289, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1289.
Emissions Measurement and Testing, 2010
Number: SP-2289; Published: 2010-04-13
Number: SP-2289; Published: 2010-04-13
- Alessandrini A. Orecchini F. Ortenzi F. Campbell F. Villatico “Drive-style emission testing on conventional and hybrid vehicles to measure real road transport emissions” European Transport Research Review
- Alessandrini A. Orecchini F. Ortenzi F. Campbell F. Villatico “Valutazione dell'influenza dello stile di guida sulle prestazioni energetiche ed ambientali di veicoli a basso impatto: analisi sperimentale di consumi ed emissioni” ATI 2008, Atti del 63° Congresso Nazionale Palermo 23-26 Settembre 2008
- Alessandrini A. Filippi F. Orecchini F. Ortenzi F. “A new method for collecting vehicle behaviour in daily use for energy and environmental analysis” 220 Part D: J. Automobile Engineering
- Ortenzi, F. Ragona, R. Villatico Campbell, F. Zuccari, F. “Experimental Measurements of the Environmental Impact of a Euro IV Vehicle in its Urban Use,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0966 2007
- Leung D.Y.C. Williams D.J. “Modelling of Motor Vehicle Fuel Consumption and Emissions Using a Power-Based Model” Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 65 21 29 2000
- “On-Board Diagnostics for Light and Medium Duty Vehicles Standards Manual” 2003 SAE International
- Ferguson C.R. “Internal Combustion Engines: Applied Thermosciences” John Wiley and Sons 1986
- Ortenzi F. “Un modello di simulazione del processo di combustione per motori ad accensione comandata” Tesi di laurea in Ingegneria Meccanica 2003
- Weilenmann M. Soltic P. Ajtay D. “Describing and compensating gas transport dynamics for accurate instantaneous emission measurement” Atmospheric Environment 37 2003 5137 5145
- André M. 2004 “The ARTEMIS European driving cycles for measuring car pollutant emissions” Science of the Total Environment 334-335 73 84
- André M. Jourmard, R. Vidon, R. Tassel, P. Perret, P. 2006 “Real-world European driving cycles, for measuring pollutant emissions from high- and low-powered cars” Atmospheric Environment 40 5944 5953
- Ortenzi F. “Metodologia e strumenti per la misura in tempo reale del comportamento energetico-emissivo dei veicoli” Tesi di Dottorato 08 03 2008
- Alessandrini A. Orecchini F. Ortenzi F. Campbell F. Villatico “Type approval procedures based on real driving cycle operating conditions and their potential effects on alternative powertrains diffusion” the International Conference on Transport and Environment: A global challenge Technological and Policy Solutions Milan Italy 19-21 March 2007
- Nakamura, H. Akard, M. Porter, S. Kihara, N. Adachi, M. Khalek, I. “Performance Test Results of a New On Board Emission Measurement System Conformed with CFR Part 1065,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1326 2007