This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Integrated 1D-3D Fluid Dynamic Simulation of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine with Complete Intake and Exhaust Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a detailed analysis of the unsteady flows in the intake and exhaust systems of a modern four-cylinder, turbocharged Diesel engine by means of advanced numerical tools and experimental measurements. In particular, a 1D-3D integrated fluid dynamic model, based on the GASDYN (1D) and Lib-ICE (3D) codes, has been developed and applied for the schematization of the geometrical domain and the prediction of the wave motion in the whole intake and the exhaust systems, including the air cleaner, the intercooler, the after-treatment devices and the silencers.
Firstly, a detailed 1D simulation has been carried out to predict the pressure pulses, average pressures and temperatures in several cross-sections of the pipe systems for different speeds and loads, considering the complex geometry of the air filter, the intake manifold, the intercooler and the exhaust manifold. An extensive set of measured data has been used to validate the model and refine the 1D schematic for the simulation of both steady operating points and some transients. Secondly, an integrated 1D-3D simulation as been carried out, to represent the complex shape components by hybrid 1D-3D computational domains, in order to point out the flow field and the non-planar wave motion. The use of an initial coarse 3D grid for the intake manifold during the first cycles has been introduced, to speed-up the calculation and then switch to more refined grids during the last simulation cycles. Similarly, a 3D mesh of the exhaust manifold, integrated with 1D pipes, has allowed to capture some details of the wave motion and pressure pulses at the turbine inlet.
CitationOnorati, A., Montenegro, G., D'Errico, G., and Piscaglia, F., "Integrated 1D-3D Fluid Dynamic Simulation of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine with Complete Intake and Exhaust Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1194, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1194.
- Shutty, J. Benali, H. Daeubler, L. Traver, M. “Air System Control for Advanced Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0970 2007
- Siewert, R.M. Krieger, R.B. Huebler, M.S. Baruah, P.C. et al. “Modifying An Intake Manifold to Improve Cylinder-To-Cylinder EGR Distribution in a DI Diesel Engine Using Combined CFD and Engine Experiments,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3685 2001
- Zhang, X. Romzek, M. “Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Applications in Vehicle Exhaust System,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0612 2008
- Millo, F. Ferraro, C.V. Gianoglio Bernardi, M. Barbero, S. et al. “Experimental and Computational Analysis of Different EGR Systems for a Common Rail Passenger Car Diesel Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 527 538 2009
- Winkler, N. Ångström, H.-E. “Simulations and Measurements of a Two-Stage Turbocharged Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Including EGR in Transient Operation,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0539 2008
- Weller, H.G. Tabor G. Jasak, H. Fureby, C. “A Tensorial Approach to CFD using Object Orientated Techniques, Computers in Physics” 1998 12 6 620 631
- http://www.openfoam.org September 2009
- Montenegro, G. Onorati, A. Piscaglia, F. D'Errico, G. “Integrated 1D-MultiD Fluid Dynamic Models for the Simulation of I.C.E. Intake and Exhaust Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0495 2007
- Lucchini, T. D'Errico, G. Brusiani, F. Bianchi, G. M. “A Finite-Element Based Mesh Motion Technique for Internal Combustion Engine Simulations” International Conference on Modeling and Diagnostics for Advanced Engine Systems (COMODIA) Sapporo, Japan 28-31 July 2008
- Piscaglia, F. Onorati, A. Rutland, C.J. Foster, D.E. “Multi-Dimensional Modeling of the Soot Deposition Mechanism in Diesel Particulate Filters,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 210 230 2008
- Winterbone, D.E. Pearson, R.J. Theory of Engine Manifolds Design Professional Engineering Publishing London 2000
- Onorati, A. Ferrari, G. Cerri, T. Cacciatore, D. et al. “1D Thermo-Fluid Dynamic Simulation of a High Performance Lamborghini V12 S.I. Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0692 2005
- D'Errico, G. Onorati, A. “Thermo-fluid dynamic modelling of a six-cylinder SI engine with a secondary air injection system” Int. J. Engine Research 7 1 16 2006
- Montenegro, G. Piscaglia, F. Ferrari, G. Onorati, A. et al. “A 1D Unsteady Thermo-Fluid Dynamic Approach for the Simulation of the Hydrodynamics of Diesel Particulate Filters,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0262 , SAE 2006 Transactions, Journal of Fuel and Lubricants 2006
- Montenegro, G. Onorati, A. “1D thermo-fluid dynamic modelling of de-NOx SCR systems for diesel engine exhaust gas after-treatment” Int. Journal of Vehicle Design 41 1/2/3/4 2006
- Dixon, S. L. Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics of Turbomachinery Elsevier Butterworth-Heinemann 978-0750670593 1998
- Gamma Technologies “GT-POWER User's Manual v6.2” 2006
- Sinclair, R. Strauss, T. Schindler, P. “Code Coupling, a New Approach to Enhance CFD Analysis of Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0660 2000
- Peters, B.J. Wanker, R.J. Münzer, A. Wurzenberger, J.C. “Integrated 1D to 3D Simulation Workflow of Exhaust Aftertreatment Devices,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1132 2004
- Bozza, F. Gimelli, A. Piazzesi, R. Fortunato, F. et al. “The Prediction of the Performance and Gasdynamic Noise Emitted by a Medium-Size Spark-Ignition Engine by Means of 1D and 3D Analyses,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0380 2007
- Montenegro, G. Onorati, A. “Modeling of Silencers for I.C. Engine Intake and Exhaust Systems by Means of an Integrated 1D-MultiD Approach,” SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 466 479 2008
- Rakopoulos, C.D. Giakoumis, E.G. “Diesel engine transient operation” Springer-Verlag 978-1-84882-374-7 2009
- Winkler, N. Ångström, H.-E. “Study of Measured and Model Based Generated Turbine Performance Maps within a 1D Model of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Operated During Transient Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0491 2007