This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Driver Variability Influences on Real World Emissions at a Road Junction using a PEMS
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A Euro 2 SI (Spark Ignition) Mondeo was investigated for a fully warmed-up vehicle on a simple urban driving loop. Emissions were monitored using an on-board Horiba OBS (On-Board emission measurement System) 1300. 10 laps of a 0.6 km loop were driven by each driver and this involved 4 junctions per lap. Statistical analysis of 20 drivers was made over 27 repeat junction events for each driver. The statistical analysis of the data showed that for all drivers the CO₂, speed and throttle position were more typical Gaussian in their distribution. NOx and CO on the other hand were lognormal in their distribution. Acceleration, positive and negative throttle jerks (rate of change of throttle angle) were borderline Gaussian. HC (Hydrocarbon) emissions were not Gaussian and there was some evidence for a gamma distribution and for a lognormal distribution. Comparison of mean HC emissions between the drivers was therefore not reliable.
The variation in mean speed between the drivers was small from 24-32 km/hr, but there was a much greater variation in mean acceleration rates from 0.4 - 1.2 m/s2. There was also a wide variation in average throttle position from 2.5 - 10.3% and an even greater variation in throttle positive jerk, from 5-22%/s. These different driving modes for the same road event resulted in major differences in emissions. CO₂ varied from 235 - 339 g/km for the 20 drivers with CO varying from 0.27 to 10.7 g/km, HC from 0.06 to 0.2 g/km and NOx from 0.27 to 0.8 g/km. There were even larger variations between drivers if the worst case emissions were compared for all the drivers. These results show that driver behavior has a major impact on real-world emissions and indicate that the potential of using electronic control throttle (ETC) to control acceleration and deceleration events could have a major impact on reducing real-world emissions.
CitationDaham, B., Li, H., Andrews, G., Tate, J. et al., "Driver Variability Influences on Real World Emissions at a Road Junction using a PEMS," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1072, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1072.
- Bosteels, D. May, J. Karlsson, H. de Serves, C. “Regulated and Non-regulated Emissions from Modern European Passenger Cars,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1516 2006
- Samuel, S. Morrey, D. Fowkes, M. Taylor, D.H.C. Austin, L. Felstead, T. Latham, S. “The Most Significant Vehicle Operating Parameter for Real-World Emission Levels,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0636 2004
- Takada, Y. Miyazaki, T. Lida, N. “Study on Local Air Pollution Caused by NOx from Diesel Freight Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0651 2002
- Dembski, N. Guezennec, Y. Soliman, A. “Analysis and Experimental Refinement of Real-World Driving Cycles,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0069 2002
- Department for Environment;Food&Rural Affairs and UK “The Role the Highways Agency in Local Air Quality Management. Annex2”
- Hans, P. Cozzarini, C. “Emissions and air quality/” SAE Reference book R237 2000 SAE Internaional
- De Vlieger, I. “Environmental Effects of Driving Behaviours and Congestion Related to Passenger Cars” Atmospheric Environment 2000 34 4649 4655
- Rapone, M. Ragione, L.D. Prati, M.V. Violetti, N. “Driving Behavior and Emission Results for a Small Size Gasoline Car in Urban Operation,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2960 2000
- Li, H. Andrews, G.E. Daham, B. Bell, M. Tate, J. Ropkins, K. “Study of the Emissions Generated at Intersections for a SI Car Under Real World Urban Driving Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1080 2006
- Li, H. Andrews, G.E. Daham, B. Bell, M.C. Tate, J.E. Ropkins, K. “Impact of Traffic Conditions and Road Geometry on Real World Urban Emissions Using a SI Car,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0308 2007
- Daham, B.K. Andrews, G.E. Li, H. Partridge, M. Bell, M.C. Tate, J.E. “Quantifying the Effects of Traffic Calming on Emissions Using On-road Measurements,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1620 2005
- Li, H. Andrews, G.E. Khan, A.A. Savvidis, D. Daham, B. Bell, M.C. Tate, J.E. Ropkins, K. “Analysis of Driving Parameters and Emissions for Real World Urban Driving Cycles Using an On-board Measurement Method for a EURO 2 SI Car,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2066 2007
- Li, H. Andrews, G.E. Savvidis, D. Daham, B. Ropkins, K. Bell, M.C. Tate, J.E. “Comparisons of the Exhaust Emissions for Different Generations of SI Cars Under Real World Urban Driving Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0754 2008
- Daham, B. Li, H. Andrews, G.E. Ropkins, K. Tate, J.E. Bell, M.C. “Comparison of Real World Emissions in Urban Driving for Euro 1-4 Vehicles Using a PEMS,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0941 2009
- Li, H. Andrews, G.E. Savvidis, D. Daham, B. Ropkins, K. Bell, M.C. Tate, J.E. “Study of Thermal Characteristics, Fuel Consumption and Emissions During Cold Start Using an On-board Measuring Method for SI Car Real-world Urban Driving,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2065 2007
- Li, H. Andrews, G.E. Savvidis, D. Ropkins, K. Tate, J.E. Bell, M.C. “Investigation of Regulated and Non-Regulated Cold Start Emissions using a Euro3 SI Car as a Probe Vehicle under Real World Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2428 2008
- Laurikko, J. Erlandsson, L. Arbrahamsson, R. “Exhaust Emissions in Cold Ambient Conditions: Considerations for a European Test Procedure,” SAE Technical Paper 950929 1995
- Jason, D.H. Checkel, M.D. “Quantifying Vehicle Emission Factors for Various Ambient Conditions using an On-Road, Real-Time Emissions System,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0301 2003
- Daham, B. Andrews, G.E. Li, H. Ballesteros, R. Bell, M.C. Tate, J.E. Ropkins, K. “Application of a Portable FTIR for Measuring On-road Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0676 2005
- Li, H. Ropkins, K. Andrews, G.E. Daham, B. Bell, M.C. Tate, J.E. Hawley, G. “Evaluation of a FTIR Emission Measurement System for Legislated Emissions Using a SI Car,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3368 2006
- Nakamura, H. Kihara, N. Adachi, M. Ishida, K. “Development of a Wet-Based NDIR and Its Application to On-Board Emission Measurement System,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0612 2002
- Kihara, N Tsukamoto, T. Matsumoto, K. Ishida, K. Kon, M. Murase, T. “Real-Time On-Board Measurement of Mass Emission of NOx, Fuel Consumption, Road Load, and Engine Output for Diesel Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1141 2000
- Ropkins, K. Tate, J.E. Li, H. Andrews, G. Hawley, G. Bell, M.C. “Chassis Dynamometer Evaluation of On-board Exhaust Emissions Measurement System Performance in a SI Car under Transient Operating Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1826 2008
- Nakamura, H. Akard, M. Porter, S. Kihara, N. Adachi, M. Khalek, I.A. “Performance Test Results of a New On Board Emissions Measurement System Conformed with CFR Part 1065,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1326 2007