This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
2009 Crown Victoria PCM EDR Accuracy in Steady State and ABS Braking Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The accuracy of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Event Data Recorder (EDR) was tested on a 2009 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor during both straight line steady state conditions and maximum ABS braking, at the Michigan State Police training facility in Lansing, MI. Six runs were made starting from 64 km/h (40 mph) and six runs starting from 96km/h (60 mph). Data was collected from the PCM EDR and the primary speed reference instrumentation was a Racelogic VBOX III (with IMU) 100 Hz differential GPS speed data acquisition system. On selected runs Radar was used as additional steady state speed verification and for the braking portion a Vericom 3000 was used to verify speed loss and calculated stop distance. Visible ABS tire marks were documented following each test, and the length of marks was compared to the calculated braking distance from each measurement device. Graphs of PCM speed/brake/accel pedal data versus VBOX speed over time are presented. The differences between PCM and VBOX are plotted and analyzed statistically, separated into steady state and braking conditions.
CitationRuth, R. and Brown, T., "2009 Crown Victoria PCM EDR Accuracy in Steady State and ABS Braking Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1000, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1000.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Chidester A., Hinch J., Mercer T. & Schultz K. Recording automotive crash event data: Proceedings of the International Symposium on Transportation Recorders, 1999.
- Lawrence, J.M., Wilkinson, C.C., Heinrichs, B., and Siegmund, G., “The Accuracy of Pre-Crash Speed Captured by Event Data Recorders, SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0889, 2003.
- Niehoff, P., Gabler, H., Brophy, J., Chidester, A. and Ragland, C. Evaluation of Event Data Recorders in Full Systems Crash Tests, Proceedings of the 19th International Technical Conference on Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, Washington, D.C. June 6-9, 2005), Paper No. 05-0271-O.
- Ruth, R.R., West, O. Engle, J., and Reust, T.J., “Accuracy of Powertrain Control Module Event Data Recorders, SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0162, 2008.
- Ruth, R. and Reust, T., “Dynamic Accuracy of Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Event Data Recorders During ABS Braking”, Collision Magazine, Spring 2008.
- Ruth, R. and Reust, T. “Accuracy of Selected 2008 Chrysler ACM EDR's During Braking” Collision Magazine, Spring 2009.
- Reust, T. Morgan, J. and Ruth, R. “Using Ford PCM Data to Evaluate Deceleration Rates, Brake Time and Impact Speeds”, Collision Magazine, Spring 2009