This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Time Belt Dynamics and Noise Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper studies the dynamics and noise of timing belt. A comprehensive theoretical contact dynamics model for belt tooth-sprocket tooth pair is developed. The general belt dynamics model in conjunction with the contact model is used to quantify the impact-sliding process of belt tooth. The effect of tooth meshing process is illustrated which results in the vibrations of belt span and tooth vibrations. The structural borne noise consists of structural impact portion and friction-induced portion. The relationship between system parameters and noise is quantified. The air borne noise due to air-pumping is investigated based on Lighthill's equation. A comprehensive model is developed and the spectrum signatures of the air-pumping noise are illustrated.
|Technical Paper||Special Noise Problems in Automotive Timing Belts|
|Book||Technology for a Quieter America|
|Technical Paper||Development and Application of an Objective Metric for Transient Engine Clatter Noise|
CitationSheng, G., Qatu, M., Dukkipati, R., and Zheng, H., "Time Belt Dynamics and Noise Study," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0902, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0902.
- Kubo A. On the running noise of toothed belt drive, part 1 Bulletin of the JSME 14 1971 991 997
- Kubo A. On the running noise of toothed belt drive, part 2 Bulletin of the JSME 14 1971 998 1007
- Mizuno N. Inagaki H. Nakakubo T. Nakada M. Analysis of Synchronous Belt Vibration in Automotive Valve Train SAE 880077 1988
- Watanabe K. Koyama T. A study on timing belt noise (Theoretical analysis for forced transverse vibration of timing belt with parametric excitation) Transaction of ASME, Journal of Mechanical Design 112 1990 424 429
- Koyama T. Watanabe K. Nagai K. A study on timing belt Noise (how to reduce resonant noise” Transaction of ASME, Journal of Mechanical Design 112 1991 419 423
- Kaiser H.J. Querengasser J. Bundgens G.M. Special Noise Problems in Automotive Timing Belts SAE 931316 1993
- Tokoro H. Analysis of transverse vibration in engine timing belt JSAE Review 18 1997 33 38
- Tokoro H. Nakamura M. Sugiura N. Tani H. Yamamoto K. Shuku T. Analysis of high frequency noise in engine timing belt JSAE Review 19 1998 33 38
- Ueda H. Kagotani M. Koyama T. Nishioka M. Noise and life of helical timing belt drives Transaction of ASME, Journal of Mechanical Design 121 1999 274 279
- Zhang W.M. Koyama T. A study on noise in synchronous belt drives (experimental and theoretical analysis of impact sound) ASME Journal of Mechanical Design 125 2003 773 778
- Sheng G Zheng H. Qatu M. Dukkipati R. V. Modelling of friction-induced noise of timing belt Int. J. Vehicle Noise and Vibration 4 2008 4
- Murakami Y. Waranabe M. Ohsawa N. Study of Belt Toughness Through an Examination of the Strain on Belt Cords SAE 880415