This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Non-standard CAN Network Topologies Verification at High Speed Transmission Rate using VHDL-AMS
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper considers the verification of non-standard CAN network topologies of the physical layer at high speed transmission rate (500.0Kbps and 1.0Mbps). These network topologies including single star, multiple stars, and hybrid topologies (multiple stars in combination with linear bus or with ring topology) are simulated by using behavior modeling language (VHDL-AMS) in comparison to measurement. Throughout the verification process, CAN transceiver behavioral model together with other CAN physical layer simulation components have been proved to be very accurate. The modeling of measurement environment of the CAN network is discussed, showing how to get the measurement and simulation results well matched. This demonstrates that the simulation solution is reliable, which is highly desired and very important for the verification requirement in CAN physical layer design. Last but not least, with the developed CAN measurement system, application layer is also proved working properly when implementing different non-standard topologies at high speed transmission rate.
CitationNguyen, T. and Pelz, G., "Non-standard CAN Network Topologies Verification at High Speed Transmission Rate using VHDL-AMS," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0688, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0688.
- Gerke T. “In-vehicle networking simulation and analysis,” Automotive Design Line 01 2009
- Lawrenz W. Bollati D. “Validation of in-vehicle-protocol network topologies,” ICONS'07: Second International Conference on Systems 2007 24 27
- Synopsys Inc. “In-Vehicle Network Design,” In-Vehicle Network Design 01-01-2007 2007
- Thorsten, G. Carsten, S. “Development and Verification of In-Vehicle Networks in a Virtual Environment,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1534 2005
- Pelz, G. Schaefer, J. Metzner, D. Hell, M. et al. “In-vehicle Network Verification from Application to Physical Layer,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0208 2004
- William P. Maurizio V. Roman B. Hubert P. “A Mixed-Mode behavioral model for a Controller-Area-Network bus transceiver: a case study,” 2007 IEEE International Behavioral Modeling and Simulation Conference 68 72 09 2007
- Ravatin J. Oudinot J. Scotti S. Le-clercq A. Lebrun J. “Full transceiver circuit simulation using VHDL-AMS,” ESM 2002: 16th European Simulation Multiconference on Modelling and Simulation 2002 2002 642 652
- Pelz G. Mechatronic Systems: Modelling and Simulation with HDLs England WILEY 2003
- Nguyen T. Haase J. Pelz G. “A Sensitivity analysis of passive CAN bus components to investigate signal integrity of CAN network physical layer,” Behavioral Modeling and Simulation Conference Doubletree Hotel San Jose California, USA 2008
- NXP-Semiconductors “TJA1050 high speed CAN transceiver - Application note,” 10 11 2006 11 2006