This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
EBDI® - Application of a Fully Flexible High BMEP Downsized Spark Ignited Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Ethanol-Boosted Direct Injection (EBDI) demonstrator engine is a collaborative project led by Ricardo targeted at reducing the fuel consumption of a spark-ignited engine. This paper describes the design challenges to upgrade an existing engine architecture and the synergistic use of a combination of technologies that allows a significant reduction in fuel consumption and CO₂ emissions. Features include an extremely reduced displacement for the target vehicle, 180 bar cylinder pressure capability, cooled exhaust gas recirculation, advanced boosting concepts and direct injection. Precise harmonization of these individual technologies and control algorithms provide optimized operation on gasoline of varying octane and ethanol content. The current application of EBDI under development is a turbocharged 3.2L V6 targeted to achieve 900 Nm [35 bar BMEP] on E85 (775 Nm [30 bar BMEP] on E0) which enables the replacement of a 6.6L V8 diesel engine in a full-size pickup truck without any deterioration in vehicle performance or driveability, including trailer towing capability. An overview of the design, test methodology, testbed results and vehicle simulation is provided. Optimized second-generation hardware has been specified, designed and packaged to fit into the target vehicle application.
CitationCruff, L., Kaiser, M., Krause, S., Harris, R. et al., "EBDI® - Application of a Fully Flexible High BMEP Downsized Spark Ignited Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0587, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0587.
SI Combustion and Direct Injection SI Engine Technology, 2010
Number: SP-2278; Published: 2010-04-13
Number: SP-2278; Published: 2010-04-13
- Lake, T. Stokes, J. Murphy, R. Osborne, R. et al. “Turbocharging Concepts for Downsized DI Gasoline Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0036 2004
- Woldring, D. Landenfeld, T. Christie, M. “DI Boost: Application of a High Performance Gasoline Direct Injection Concept,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1410 2007
- Bandel, W. Fraidl, G.K. Kapus, P.E. Sikinger, H. et al. “The Turbocharged GDI Engine: Boosted Synergies for High Fuel Economy Plus Ultra-low Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1266 2006
- Coltman, D. Turner, J.W.G. Curtis, R. Blake, D. et al. “Project Sabre: A Close-Spaced Direct Injection 3-Cylinder Engine with Synergistic Technologies to Achieve Low CO 2 Output,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0138 2008
- Brdarski, A. Kern, J. Woldring, D. Yilmaz, H. et al. “SI Engine Hardware and Software Design for High Power, Low Emissions Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0617 2009
- Krebs, R. “The New Audi 2,0L T-FSI Motor - The First Direct Injection Turbo Gasoline Engine at Audi” 25th International Vienna Motor Symposium 2004
- Nishida, M. Isobe, R. Goto, T. Hanzawa, H. Aiga, S. “The new 2.3L Direct Injection Turbo Gasoline Engine from Mazda” 14th Aachen Colloquium 2005
- Groff, E. Königstein, A. Drangel, H. “The New 2.0L High Performance Turbo Engine with Gasoline Direct Injection from GM Powertrain” 27th International Vienna Motor Symposium 2006
- Kapus, P.E. Fuerhapter, A. Fuchs, H. Fraidl, G.K. “Ethanol Direct Injection on Turbocharged SI Engines - Potentials and Challenges,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1408 2007
- Marriott, C.D. Wiles, M.A. Gwidt, J.M. Parrish, S. “Development of a Naturally Aspirated Spark Ignition Direct-Injection Flex-Fuel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0319 2008
- Wallner, T. Miers, S.A. “Combustion Behavior of Gasoline and Gasoline/Ethanol Blends in a Modern Direct-Injection 4-Cylinder Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0077 2008
- Kaiser, M. Krueger, U. Cruff, L. Harris, R. ““Doing More with Less” - The Fuel Economy Benefits of Cooled EGR on a Direct Injected Spark Ignited Boosted Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0589 2010
- Scaff, A. Wold, E. Cruff, L. Harris, R. “Ignition System for EBDI,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0592 2010
- Brusstar, M.J. Gray, C.L. Jr. “High Efficiency with Future Alcohol Fuels in a Stoichiometric Medium Duty Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3993 2007