This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Numerical Analysis on Air-cooling Performance of Passenger Cars
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The influence of environmental changes on underhood and underbody components of a vehicle is an important issue in new vehicle design as increased engine power, cabin comfort demands and package space limitations create an increasingly difficult problem to solve. Sufficient airflow needs to be available for adequate cooling of the underhood components. The amount of air mass flow depends on the underhood geometry details: positioning and size of the grilles, fan operation, and the positioning of the other underhood components. This paper describes a prediction methodology that significantly streamlines the process of passenger car underhood thermal management by utilizing state-of-the-art computer simulation of airflow. The methodology uses a complete 3-D CAD model of all pertinent underhood components of a passenger car with a general purpose Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) code to simulate underhood airflow. The heat exchangers condenser and radiator were modeled using a porous media approach by giving the porous coefficient values from the experimentally obtained flow rate versus pressure drop data. The results obtained from the simulation is compared with the experimental values and found that a deviation of about 7.6% in the radiator front average velocity.
CitationRegin, F., "A Numerical Analysis on Air-cooling Performance of Passenger Cars," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0554, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0554.
- Kim Hak Jun Kim Charn Jung 2008 “A Numerical Analysis for the Cooling Module related to Automobile Air-conditioning System” Applied Thermal Engineering 28 1896 1905
- Davis, F.V. Veling, T.R. Caltrider, J.L. Madhavar, R. “Impact of Computer Aided Engineering on Ford Motor Company Light Truck Cooling Design and Development Processes,” SAE Technical Paper 932977 1993
- Fellague, K.A. Hu, S.H. Willoughby, D.A. “Determination of the Effects of Inlet Air Velocity and Temperature Distributions on the Performance of an Automotive Radiator,” SAE Technical Paper 940771 1994
- Yang, Z. Bozeman, J. Shen, F.Z. “CFD for Flow Rate and Air Re-Circulation at Vehicle Idle Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0053 2004
- Uhl, B. Brotz, F. Fauser, J. Krüger, U. “Development of Engine Cooling Systems by Coupling CFD Simulation and Heat Exchanger Analysis Programs,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1695 2001
- Knaus, H. Ottosson, C. Brotz, F. Kühnel, W. “Cooling Module Performance Investigation by Means of Underhood Simulation,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2013 2005
- Francois Nicolas “Using CFD for heat exchanger development and thermal management” 2nd European Automotive CFD Conference 185 196