This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Rollover Testing of Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs) on an Actual Highway
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A follow-up study on rollover testing was conducted along a section of a remote rural highway using six full-size sport utility vehicles (SUVs) of differing makes and models. The vehicles were instrumented and towed to highway speeds before being released, at which point an automated steering controller steered the vehicles through a series of maneuvers intended to result in rollover. A total of eight tests were conducted and documented, six rollovers and two non-rollover events. The six rollover events provide trip and tumbling conditions for each vehicle. The two non-rollover attempts produced cornering tire marks and allowed for the documentation of near roll conditions for the two out-of-control vehicles. All eight tests presented are instrumented real-world type tests that were later correlated based upon the data obtained. The data collected for each test includes high and low-speed on-board instrumentation, high speed video from two perspectives, survey measurements, and still photographs. The test data presented is categorized with the various phases of vehicle rollovers: loss-of-control, tripping, and rolling phases. The Appendix contains a more complete presentation of the test-by-test data obtained from this series of tests.
CitationAsay, A. and Woolley, R., "Rollover Testing of Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs) on an Actual Highway," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0521, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0521.
- [Asay, 2009] “Rollover Testing on an Actual Highway”, Asay Alan F., Woolley Ronald L.; SAE 2009-01-1544.
- [Cooper, 2001] “Repeatable Dynamic Rollover Test Procedure With Controlled Roof Impact”; Cooper Eddie R., Moffatt Edward R., Curson Anne M., Smith Brian J., Orlowski Kenneth F.; SAE 2001-01-0476.
- [Cooperrider, 1998] “Characteristics of Soil Tripped Rollovers”; Cooperrider Neil K., Hammoud Selim A., Colwell Jeff; SAE 980022.
- [Cooperrider, 1990] “Testing and Analysis of Vehicle Rollover Behavior”; Cooperrider Neil K., Thomas Terry M., and Hammoud Selim A.; SAE 900366.
- [Friedman, 2003] “Repeatable Dynamic Rollover Roof Test Fixture”; Friedman D., Jordan A., Bish J., Honikman T., Sigel J., Nash C.; IMECE 2003, Washington D.C., November 16, 2003.
- [Friedman, 2008] “Review of Existing Repeatable Vehicle Rollover Dynamic Physical Testing Methods”, Friedman Keith, Hutchinson John; IMECI2008-68751.
- Funk, 2008] “Occupant Ejection Trajectories in Rollover Crashes: Full-Scale Testing and Real World Cases”; Funk James R., Beauchamp Gray, Rose Nathan A., Fenton Stephen J., Pierch Janine; SAE 2008-01-0166.
- [Haldenwanger, 2009] “Safety Belt Buckle Environment in Vehicle Rollover Crash Tests”, Haldenwanger Michael J., Antonucci Antonio, Cooper Gerald A., Malopolski William A., Sevigny Jennifer L., White James P., Yee Jack K.; SAE 2009-01-1251.
- [Henry, 2009] “Measurement and Modeling of Rollover Airborne Trajectories”, Henry Kevin C., Germane Geoff J., Luepke Peter, Carter Jarrod; SAE 2009-01-0109.
- [Hong, 2009] “Development of CAE Methodology for Rollover Sensing Algorithm”, Hong Seok Ho, Lim Jang Mook, Park Hyung Wook; SAE 2009-01-0828.
- [Moffatt, 2003] “Matched-Pair Rollover Impacts of Rollcaged and Production Roof Cars Using the Controlled Rollover Impact System (CRIS)”; Moffatt E.A., Cooper E. R., Croteau J. J., Orlowski K. F., Marth D. R., Carter J. W.; SAE 2003-01-0172.
- [O'Brian-Mitchell, 2007] “Rollover Sensor Signature Test Development”; O'Brian-Mitchell Bridget M., Horn Christopher K., Lang Robert C.; SAE 2007-01-0375.
- [Orlowski, 1989] “Reconstruction of Rollover Collisions”; Orlowski K. F., Moffatt E. A., Bundorf R. T., Holcomb M. P.; SAE 890857.
- [Rose, 2009] “Development of a Variable Deceleration Rate Approach to Rollover Crash Reconstruction”, Rose Nathan A., Beauchamp Gray; SAE 2009-01-0093.
- [Yoon, 2009] “Vehicle Stability Control Scheme for Rollover Prevention and Maneuverability/Lateral Stability Improvement” Yoon Jangyeol, Cho Wanki, Yi Kyongsu, Koo Bongyeong; SAE 2009-01-0826.