This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimized Design of the Cooling System for an Articulated Dump Truck's Electric Drive System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The articulated dump truck with independent suspensions is driven by six AC motors and each wheel is driven by one motor. Cooling system is configured in every electric wheel. The motor is the main heating source in the electric drive system. Hence, the cooling of the motor will affect the reliability and power-density of the whole electric drive system. According to the actual working conditions, the heating calculation about the cooling system has been carried out during the design process. The design concept of embedding spiral-shaped flow path in the shell of the stator has been drawn. The cooling water could pass through the path and accomplish cooling outside the stator. In this paper, the FLUENT has been used for the 3-D numerical simulation of the cooling system. The temperature field distributions of the cooling water and the shell are obtained. To analyze the influence of the shell structure on the cooling effect, the iSIGHT has been used to accomplish the structural and thermal optimization. The simulation and optimization results show that the cooling water velocity has little effect on the cooling, but the structure of the shell affects the cooling greatly. Finally, the section sizes of the shell flow path are optimized. As a result, the average temperature of the shell wall has reduced from 364K to 357K. The cooling effect can be improved significantly.
CitationZhang, Y., Shen, Y., and Zhang, W., "Optimized Design of the Cooling System for an Articulated Dump Truck's Electric Drive System," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0504, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0504.
Optimization, Optical Measurement Nondestructive Testing Techniques, 2010
Number: SP-2295; Published: 2010-04-13
Number: SP-2295; Published: 2010-04-13
- Chen J.S. Hsu W.Y. “Characterizations and Models for the Thermal Growth of a Motorized High Speed Spindle,” Int. J. of Mach. Tools Manuf. Terramechanics 43 11 1163 1170 2003
- Huang Cheng-Hung Lo Hung-Chi “A Three-dimensional Inverse Problem in Estimating the Internal Heat Flux of Housing for High Speed Motors,” J. of Applied Thermal Engineering 26 14-15 1515 1529 2006
- Farsane K. Desevaux P. Panday P. K. “Experimental Study of the Cooling of a Closed Type Electric Motor,” J. of Applied Thermal Engineering 20 14 1321 1334 2000
- Liao. C.M Chen. C.L Katcher. Tom “Thermal Analysis for Design of High Performance Motors,” Therm'98. Sixth Intersociety Conference paper 98CH36208 1998
- Dessouky. Y.G Williams. B.W Fletcher. J.E “Cooling Enhancement of Electric Motors,” J. of Electric Power Applications 145 1 57 60 1998
- Liao. C.M Chen. C.L Katcher. Tom “Thermal Management of AC Induction Motors Using Computational Fluid,” IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference paper 99EX272 1999
- Bellettre J. Sartre V. Biais F. Lallemand A. “Transient State Study of Electric Motor Heating and Phase Change Solid-liquid Cooling,” J. of Applied Thermal Engineering 17 1 17 31 1997
- Thole K. A. Radomsky R. W. Kang M. B. Kohli A. “Elevated Freestream Turbulence Effects on Heat Transfer for a Gas Turbine Vane,” Int. J. of Heat and Fluid Flow 23 2 137 147 2002
- Poncet S. Schiestel R. “Numerical Modeling of Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow in Rotor-stator Cavities with Throughflow,” Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer 50 7-8 1528 1544 2007
- Duran J. Esteban Taghipour Fariborz Mohseni Madjid “CFD Modeling of Mass Transfer in Annular Reactors,” Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer 52 23-24 5390 5401 2009
- Valencia Alvaro Cid Marcela “Turbulent Unsteady Flow and Heat Transfer in Channels with Periodically Mounted Square Bars,” Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer 45 8 1661 1673 2002
- Mackley M. R. Stonestreet P. “Heat Transfer and Associated Energy Dissipation for Oscillatory Flow in Baffled Tubes,” J. of Chemical Engineering and Processing Science 50 14 2211 2224 1995
- Lin Zhirong Chen Bo Yuan Xin “Aerodynamic Optimization Design System for Turbomachinery Based on Parallelized 3D Viscous Numerical Analysis,” Parallel Computational Fluid Dynamics 2006 293 300
- Yamachi Hidemi Tsujimura Yasuhiro Kambayashi Yasushi Yamamoto Hisashi “Multi-objective Genetic Algorithm for Solving N-version Program Design Problem,” J. of Reliability Engineering & System Safety 91 9 1083 1094 2006