This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Emulsification Plant Integrated into a Diesel Fuel Feeding System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An innovative Emulsification Engine Feeding System (EEFS) has been developed in the Roma Tre University Fluid Machinery Lab. It is based on an emulsification loop, where fuel and water are fed in real time with the emulsion injection. Thus no chemicals are used to stabilize water in diesel fuel or ethanol in diesel fuel emulsions. The system assures the emulsion stability levels sufficient for the emulsion to be injected inside the engine. Tests carried out on the EEFS, developed for a 6 cylinder, four stroke, 12.88 liter, 382 kW diesel engine, have shown the good quality of the emulsion in terms of water droplet diameters and volumetric mixing ratio, at the various off line tests over emulsion flow rates varying about 2.5 l/h to 150 l/h representative of the idle (2 l/h of fuel) to full load (130 l/h of fuel) conditions with the engine rpm ranging from 500 to 2300. A water separation section that operates for the duration of the engine shutdown is a unique feature of the EEFS to avoid corrosion during stops.
CitationCerri, G., Chennaoui, L., Miglioli, M., and Botta, F., "Emulsification Plant Integrated into a Diesel Fuel Feeding System," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0470, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0470.
Advances in Alternative Energy and Fuels for the Transportation Sector, 2010
Number: SP-2292; Published: 2010-04-13
Number: SP-2292; Published: 2010-04-13
- Jannell, T., A., P., “Diesel Technology & Emissions,” Bachelor Degree, Singapore Maritime Academy & Maritime Institute of William Barentsz, Singapore Polytechnic, Aug 1, 2006.
- Goldsworthy, L., “Design of Ship Engines for Reduced Oxides of Nitrogen Emissions,” Presented at “Engineering a Sustainable Future”, Institution of Engineers, Australia Hobart, July 2002.
- Aufdenblatten, S., “Status of Emission Control on Wärtsilä 2-Stroke Sulzer RTA Engines,” Maritime Air Quality Technical Working Group, Port of Oakland, CA, July 26, 2002.
- Miles, P., Dec, J., “Development of Innovative Combustion Processes for a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine,” Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore, SANDIA Report SAND 99-83219, CA 94550, Printed January 1999.
- Chadwell, C.J. and Dingle, P.J.G., “Effect of Diesel and Water Co-injection with Real-Time Control on Diesel Engine Performance and Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1190, 2008.
- Harrington, J.A., “Water Addition to Gasoline - Effect on Combustion, Emissions, Performance, and Knock,” SAE Technical Paper 820314, SAE Transactions, Vol. 910, 1982.
- Tremuli, P., “Developments and Perspectives of Marine Engines,” Clean Combustion and Greenhouse Gases, Brussels, 6 November, 2008.
- Canfield, C., A., “Effects of Diesel - Water Emulsion Combustion on Diesel Engine NOx Emissions,” Master degree thesis, Graduate School of the University of Florida, 1999.
- Stenhede, T., “Controlling Emissions in a Combustion Engine,” Master, Wärtsilä Sweden AB, May 3, 2006.
- Steffens, D., “The Diesel Engine and the Environment,” Wartsila North America, Inc., Houston, Texas, September 16-17, 2003.
- Beg, M., R., A., Sarker, M., R., I., Rahman, M., Hoque, M., N., “Emission Control in DI Diesel Engine Using Mixture of Aqueous Salt Solution Diesel Emulsion,” International Conference on Mechanical Engineering 2007, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 29-31 December, 2007.
- Andrews, G.E., Bartle, K.D., Pang, S.W., Nurein, A.M. et al., “The Reduction in Diesel Particulate Emissions Using Emulsified Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper 880348, 1988.
- Shuko, T., Manabu, F., Tamio, I., “Effect of Water drop Diameter on Combustion Characteristics of W/O Emulsion Spray Flame,” Proceedings of Thermal Engineering Conference, Journal Code: L0417A, Japan, 2003.
- Marrone, N., J., Kennedy, I., M., Dryer, F., L., “Internal Phase Size Effects on Combustion of Emulsions,” Combustion Science and Technology, Vol. 33, 1983.
- Matthews, R., D., “Emulsified Diesel Fuels: Literature Review and Consolidation of Lubrizol Recommendations,” UT Center for Transportation Research Report 4576-1, August 2002.
- Dryer, F., L., “Fundamental Combustion Studies of Emulsified Fuels,”, Dept of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University, Report No. 1581-MAE, 1982.
- Sheng, H.-Z., Chen, L., and Wu, C.-K., “The Droplet Group Micro-Explosions in W/O Diesel Fuel Emulsion Sprays,” SAE Technical Paper 950855, 1995.
- Cerri, G., “Design Criteria to Optimize the Atomization, Evaporation and Mixing Processes of the Alternative Fuel Operated Gas Turbine Injectors,” AFTUR Deliverable, Università degli Studi “Roma TRE”, Roma, 2007.
- Cerri, G., “Combustion of Emulsified Biofuels in Gas Turbines,”. Combustion of Biofuels. E.ON UK Power Technology, Ratcliffe-on-Soar, Nottingham, 2006.
- Ikura, M., Stanciulescu, M., Hogan, E. “Emulsification of Pyrolisis Derived Bio-oil in Diesel Fuel,” Biomass and Bio-energy. Vol. 24, 2003.
- Selim, M., Y., E., Elfeky, S., M., S., “Effects of Diesel/Water Emulsion on Heat Flow Thermal Loading in a Precombustion Chamber Diesel Engine,”. Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 21, n°15, 2001.
- Kohketsu, S., Mori, K., Sakai, K., and Nakagawa, H., “Reduction of Exhaust Emission with New Water Injection System in a Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 960033, SAE Transactions, Vol. 105, Sec. 3, 1996.
- Tsukahara, M., Yoshimoto, Y., and Murayama, T., “W/O Emulsion Realizes Low Smoke and Efficient Operation of DI Engines without High Pressure Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 890449, 1989.
- Crookes, R.J., Nazha, M.A.A., Janota, M.S., and Storey, T., “Investigation into the Combustion of Water/Diesel Fuel Emulsions,” SAE Technical Paper 800094, 1980.
- Park, J., Huh, K., Park K., “Experimental Study on the Combustion Characteristics of Emulsified Diesel in a RCEM,” FISITA World Automotive Congress, F2000A073, 2000.
- Lawson, A. and Last A.J., “Modified Fuels for Diesel Engines by Application of Unstabilized Emulsions,” SAE Technical Paper 790925, 1979.
- Lawson, A., Last A.J., Desphande, A.S., and Simmons, E.W., “Heavy-Duty Truck Diesel Engine Operation on Unstabilized Methanol/Diesel Fuel Emulsions,” SAE Technical Paper 810346, 1981.
- Cerri, G., “Studio e Sviluppo di un Sistema Atto ad Ottimizzare il Ciclo Termodinamico di Motori a Combustione Interna,” R1, R2 and R3, Università degli Studi “ROMA TRE”, D.I.M.I., Roma, 2004, 2006, 2008.
- Cerri, G., Chennaoui, L., Miglioli, M., Botta, F., “Automatic Mixing Valve for Prescribed Injection Ratio Versus Variable Fuel Flow Rate,” ASME Turbo Expo 2007, GT2007-27140, 2007.
- Cerri, G. “Water and Ethanol in Bio-Oil Emulsions as Gas Turbine Fuels,” AFTUR Technical Report, Università degli Studi “Roma TRE”, D.I.M.I., Roma, 2007.
- Cerri, G., Chennaoui, L., Giovannelli, A., Miglioli, M., “Further Developments of a Variable Fuel Flow Automatic Mixing Valve for Prescribed Injection Ratio,” ASME Turbo Expo 2009, GT2009-59035, 2009.
- Basilicata C. “Risposta Dinamica di un Miscelatore Automatico al Variare della Portata,” Thesis, University of Roma TRE, 2008.
- Cerri, G., Chennaoui, L., Miglioli, M., and Salvini, C., “Fuel Oil Emulsification Plant On Board of Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0095, 2009.
- Bertola, A., Li, R., and Boulouchos, K., “Influence of Water-Diesel Fuel Emulsions and EGR on Combustion and Exhaust Emissions of Heavy Duty DI-Diesel Engines Equipped with Common-Rail Injection System,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3146, 2003.
- Kass, M. D., et al, : “Utilizing Water Emulsification to Reduce NOx and Particulate Emissions Associated with Biodiesel”, Transactions of the ASABE. 52(1): 5-13. @2009.
- Andreotti, D., “Alimentazione di Emulsioni Acqua- Benzina per la Riduzione della Richiesta Ottanica,” Roma, Degree thesis (Italian), 2001/2002.
- Valenti, A., “Detonazione di un Motore Alimentato con Emulsione Acqua-Benzina,” Roma, Degree thesis (Italian), 2003/2004.